Room treatments/damping

cetoole

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions of what to read?  Jeff recommended using a fire hose to fill it with water, but I do not think that would be ideal.  More prefer to put some sort of absorbent material (foam? fiber board?) behind canvas prints.  Also, speaker decoupling, to reduce noise transmission to the neighbors, seems like a good thing to do.

Fiberglass insulation.  Ethan Winer DIY design

He's also got a forum somewhere, looking for it, will post when I find it.  Oops, found it.  Very helpful, gives away his designs and advice, builds them under his "RealTraps" moniker for people too lazy to do it themselves.  Otherwise encourages people to do it themselves.  My Facebook friend Stephen Hitch does similarly in the UK, he had a pretty cool idea to turn T-shirts into the front covers of the traps (you don't want to leave fiberglass insulation exposed).

I'm with Dusty.

Winer's site is just one of a few but Ethan seems better at communicating than most.

I suggest you try out every reasonable layout in your new pad (very cool BTW).

The closer you can get to getting the sound right by positioning, the better you final results will be.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty partial to ASC Tube Traps.   They made a huge improvement in my own room, and it doesn't remotely sound dead.   After talking with them (the people at ASC, not the Tube Traps) the speaker placement was just as important as the traps themselves.  Do the math and get your speakers 29% (I believe) from the wall behind them.  

tubetrap.com is more of a fansite, but has good setup diagrams and such.

Acoustic Sciences is the product home.  

I'm still not done with what was "prescribed" for my room.  I should probably take the dollars I have for a turntable purchase and get another set of traps instead.

• Like 1