Cheap speaker stands

recstar24

Which ones, these?  You realize they're only 12 inches?  (Look at the dimensions of the tubes.)  I think you want something more like 29-36 inches.

Unless you want them for desktop, then they'll be too high.  I used to have a pair of speakers that only needed about 12 inches of boost once, but they were short floorstanders and I was using them as surrounds and they needed to reach over the couch.  Other than that, I can't think of a circumstance where I'd want 12 inch stands.  Well, maybe something like a Spendor S100 or something like samich's.  Maybe.  Well...alright, also if it was a center channel.  But that's it, no more.

Don't forget Guitar Center, if you have one near you, you can see what they have, first.  Those DR Pros look nice.  I have these fab ones that I got there decades ago, and they're still going strong.  I need to work to keep them from ringing (they're all metal), but they're better than the crap I got from Audio Advisor.

I also have these great little ones that I got from Best Buy, but they were a brand called Target, I think, and I don't see them any more.  Metal top and base plates, 3 wooden legs.  Sturdy as fuck.  Also still going strong.

I've always used cheap sanus stands and they perform the job of elevating the speaker the appropriate height off the ground.

I don't doubt that good speaker stands can make a difference in audio, but my speakers are like $500, I'm not going to spend a shitload on speaker stands.

Those solidsteel stands look cool though. Trying to figure out if they would work in my den.

I've always used cheap sanus stands and they perform the job of elevating the speaker the appropriate height off the ground.

I don't doubt that good speaker stands can make a difference in audio, but my speakers are like $500, I'm not going to spend a shitload on speaker stands.

Those solidsteel stands look cool though. Trying to figure out if they would work in my den.

Same - I am going with some used quads ric was nice enough to pawn off on me for a good price.  

Interesting.  I wonder if anyone buys those.  They're nice looking blocks of wood, and the history is neat, but there are more comfortable things to sit on.

Off topic, I've been thinking about making a headphone stand in a similar way, using a block of wood at a branch intersection.  In addition to poplar, I've got a lot of willow here, and some of it has the diamond pattern, like this.

diamondwillow200.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up, I think I've found a killer budget speaker stand. Ultimate support, which normally has 150-200 dollar stands, sells a budget one, jsm70. 4 adjustable heights with an easy locking mechanism, triangular base, comes with rubber feet and metal tiptoe screws for carpet, large top metal plate with a little strip of rubber on the sides that keeps the speaker stable. The whole thing was easy to setup and does not feel or look cheap, I'm truly impressed, all for 59.99 Amazon prime.

• Like 3