slow forum

postjack

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww the cute little pocket scans, perfect for home disco's! lot's of gobo's and colors, separate wheels, good light output. the company who makes those for American dj is GLP (incase you need any help with them later on).

As I'm sure you know, most ADJ-branded gear is utter crap, but the PocketScan is a notable exception. You've touched on most of their strengths, but easy on-site DMX programming is a plus, so is master-slave operation (for the occasions when I don't have a controller.) Also I can fit four of them in a case I can pick up with one hand. Now that I have all four working, I doubt I will lug out my big Geni Shivas or MojoScans anymore. The Shivas are much, much brighter, and have rotating gobos, but are really a two-man job to set up.

another cute tiny little fixture with some power to her is the Chauvet min spot. its a 8lb moving head power by a 14watt rgb focused led. gobo's and full color mixing moving head that can be found on ebay new for $300ish.

my lighting company runs mostly Martin gear though, then again the quality is a bit more important then but the pockets are a gem of the scanner world for small areas. as a programmer i love the dmx channel options you get.

even a little laser diode...

Martin is great if you have a large budget, a big crew and lots of time to set things up. All things my lighting company lacks. ;D The MiN Spot is cute, but even at 8 lbs I have an aversion to moving heads. They're great for installations and large mobile productions, but not practical for one man operations. Certainly LED fixtures are the way of the future for lighting. I'm eyeing some of the LED color tubes, waiting for them to come down in price a bit.

YOu want cheap led tubes?...i got your supplier!

http://asymptech.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=51

I did an install with 16 of these last summer, i forget which ones i bought but i know they cost nomore then $45.00 each. the install was a tanning salon and the tubes still run perfect. they are the same thing the adj/chauvet use..probably same damn company making them.

I also ordered a few lasers from these guys before, got dhl shipping so the cost went up a bit but perfect service.

the common problem i seen with pocket scans was a resistor burning out, its been a awhile but i can ask my tech what the exact problem was since he did the fixs himself.

led's and digital lighting (video projector connected to computer servers) are for sure the future. highend really got the video ball running with the Catalyst and now the cheaper companies are following suit like Elation offering a similar product for $900 these days. leds are mostly all from china/hong kong/ etc so the prices are started out low but the middle men (american dj, chauvet, etc) are marking them up..still there are ways to get these fixtures at low prices.

in the future, all women will have purple hair.

Actually, that's very retro. I had purple hair around 1982/3 with a little blue, green, yellow, red, and...whatever I was in the mood for at the time. I remember driving the back roads from Colorado to Indiana to visit my 80-something-year-old grandma at the time, and getting more than a few odd stares. Granny was great, though. I called her a few miles out to warn her, and she just said, "Honey, the world could always use more color." I also remember my parents sticking a hat on my head at my brother's graduation from the Air Force Academy, though the officers who talked with me didn't seem upset by it at all, were all quite interested and very friendly.