slow forum

postjack

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has your health care professional suggested statins?

We are trying to avoid statins. He put me on Tricor, but it made me feel bad, probably due to drinking alcohol. Since I'm not giving up my wine, whiskey, etc., I gave up the Tricor. I also was taking 2gms/day of fish oil. The fish oil didn't help at all. Now I'm on niacin and 4gms/day. We'll see if that helps.

I'm not too worried about it. I had heart attack symptoms in March and went to the emergency room. Among other things, they took pre- and post-stress test real-time pictures of my heart using a radioactive dye. It didn't show any problems with my heart at all. I was eventually diagnosed with "non-cardiac chest pains". They decided that it was probably heart burn.

Given that I am not a Doctor and I don't even play one on TV feel free to ignore this anecdotal evidence. My previous doctor (before he retired) put me on the same regime that he was taking, which was a combination of statins (pravachol in this case) and "industrial strength" doses of slow release niacin (Niaspan). This approach got the numbers down to the "good" range. Note - not the "normal" range, as the average/normal numbers had an increased 10 year risk probability vs the "good" numbers.

When I found a new doctor, she started me off with a cardiac calcium scan which came up clean, so that was reassuring. Good news is that some statins have come off patent and are now generic.

Here's to your good health, and good luck should you need it.