slow forum

postjack

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't normally post political stuff here, but this hit pretty high on the WTF meter. Lisa Murkowski won her write-in candidacy for the US Senate in Alaska, beating Tea Party favorite Joe Miller and...

this dude:

G18Uf.jpg

That's Scott McAdams, the Democratic candidate, who didn't have a snowball's chance in Waziristan.

I dunno who made the above demotivator, but they were clearly referencing this one:

KdThW.jpg

I ran across the word "Paracusia" yesterday, when I tried to look up the word for "things you hear in recordings that aren't really there". Paracusia is auditory hallucinations -- but that's not exactly what I wanted. I wanted those things on like Black Sabbath albums when you think you hear your name being called from the next room ...but you only hear it when you're listening to that spot on that Black Sabbath album. Your mind interprets a combination of harmonics with your name being called, sort of like interpolation (or is it extrapolation?). The aural equivalent of phosphenes (and to prevent Jacob from going into a murderous rage, phosphenes are those fireworks-like lights you see when you rub your closed eyes, because you're stimulating your optic nerve with nearby pressure).

So if anyone knows the word for that, I wouldn't mind knowing what it is, my google-fu failed me.

I ran across the word "Paracusia" yesterday, when I tried to look up the word for "things you hear in recordings that aren't really there". Paracusia is auditory hallucinations -- but that's not exactly what I wanted. I wanted those things on like Black Sabbath albums when you think you hear your name being called from the next room ...but you only hear it when you're listening to that spot on that Black Sabbath album. Your mind interprets a combination of harmonics with your name being called, sort of like interpolation (or is it extrapolation?). The aural equivalent of phosphenes (and to prevent Jacob from going into a murderous rage, phosphenes are those fireworks-like lights you see when you rub your closed eyes, because you're stimulating your optic nerve with nearby pressure).

So if anyone knows the word for that, I wouldn't mind knowing what it is, my google-fu failed me.

Nothing for it then but to invent the word ourselves.

I submit: Audiophantiliquism.

I'd say paracusia is more of abnormal auditory perception -different than just hypoacusia- than just hallucinations. You have Willis paracusia, which consists in hearing better in a noisy environment (like a train or bar) than in a quiet one, Weber paracusia, which is not hearing well when you're chewing and your voice resonates excessively, and a few more which I can't recall right now.