New Format: MQA

blessingx

I always thought the reason to go to 48K or 96K was so that the phase distortion from the sharp cutoff filters before digitizing would occur above the audible frequency range. I may have used the wrong terminology, so please forgive me.

That is what over sampling is for. And it is typically way higher than to 96khz.

• 2 weeks later...

"As a MQA decoder is software and modern DACs are controlled by firmware, there is no obstacle to hardware companies offering MQA decoding other than the need to pay the necessary license fee"

You don't say. 

The one listeners impression http://www.stereophile.com/content/meridians-mqa-one-listeners-impression

Ticked most of the Audiophile Review meme's

• "as though a veil had been lifted"
  • "this was the closest to real I've ever heard "
  • Like 1

So let me get this straight:  Take the most true to source digital file, give it the glorified MP3 treatment, dither it, and, dare I presume, EQ it, and call it better than the original?

Or put it another way, it's the snake oil bullshit version of FLAC.

Finally, the entire concept of streaming audio to a high end home setup is lost on me.  You are already tethered to your system; you aren't going anywhere.  Load that shit up on your HDD, and, as Posty said, who gives a shit how big the file is?  If you can afford Meridian's crapola, then a few TB of spinning aluminum (or MLC memory cause it sounds better) is not going to matter much.

Edited by roadtonowhere08
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Move aside MQA. I want a binaural cocoon of life/infotainment!

Immersive Surround Audio to the Palm of Your Hand – Auro Technologies and VuStar have created a mobile audio experience to deliver exceptional sound over regular stereo headphones. The Auro-3D format has been combined with VuStar’s mobile infotainment expertise to offer life-like audio experience to users of smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. Not only can the scalable solution decode Auro-3D content, but it can automatically upmix mono, stereo or surround sound into an immersive sound experience. Auro-3D adds a height layer around the audience to immerse the listener in a cocoon of life-like sound in the feature films in which it has been used. In the mobile devices it is combined with binaural technology to add the height layer which envelops the listener.

If only there were some MQA recordings ... ( we could buy all over again) ...

Which if we are not streaming or using on (storage) space constrained systems, we might as well use the "full fat" original, assuming it was even available.

Meanwhile thoughtful analyst has thoughtful analysis.

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2015/01/musings-miscellanies-on-audio-encoding.html 

• 8 months later...