Warm speakers that are baby proof?

Zanth

Though speakers are not in my immediate future, nor really in my remote future, but I have been listening to some very serious setups as of late and speakers offer some things headphones do not:

1) listening for 2+

2) realistic bass

2) soundstaging/live feel

With a new little one on the way, it would be great to be able to sit with him on the couch late at night while my wife tries to get some zzz's and my other son is sleeping upstairs. I could do this with headphones I suppose, but it would be safer all around to do this with speakers. I have a hankering for coincident victories and tube amp from CJ or VAC, but that is beyond my budget, even used. But if only to dream, what woudl be some nice warm sounding floor standers, full range speakers? I'm looking for something that is 80 lbs or so, so that my little toddler could not knock it over.

well depending on your budget and mainly your room size which have an relative effect on how well the speakers will sound in your room.

You might want to take a look at the Sonus Fabers. While I cannot say these are of the warm tonality you are looking for they are often described as being refined. It may prove too refined for some though.

I know less about speakers than I do about headphones, which ain't much.

But I do know something about parenthood and resting with a baby while listening to music while the wife catches up on sleep is among life's most sublime pleasures. Plenty of poop and crying and all the rest too, but you're prepping nicely for the good parts!

The problem with heavier speakers is that a toddler will still find a way to knock them over (unless they are seriously heavy or bolted to the floor) but the risk of injury increases. The only safe speakers I can think of would be a set of bookshelf speakers that actually sit on a shelf, or are wall-mounted. Alternatively, something with a lot of weight at the bottom might be difficult to knock over (weight distribution may be more important than actual weight). Out of reach is the only really safe place.

Infants and toddlers are no problem for floor standing speakers. The do not have enough inertia or mass to worry about, but wait about 4 years and then start to worry.

I have a pair of Gallo reference 3's that sit out in the open with kids running all around them. They are literally encased in a metal cage. They also have no sharp corners, which will be more of a concern for you in a year or two. Oh, they also sound awesome.

If you find yourself drawn to high efficency, single driver loudspeakers then I find my Cain and Cain Abbys hard to beat and harder for a baby to knock over. They're definitely give you a warm, natural sound--for truely deep bass though they need a sub.

Additionally, I used to use blu-tak to mount monitors to Osiris bookstands, and I can honestly say that it would take a little Hercules to knock those suckers over.

What my parents did when I was a crawler was to sandwich the wallunit and some tables when I was up and about, and then pull them out into the proper listening position once I was safely asleep. In the "safe" position they were still fine for background music so my parents could still enjoy some tunes during the day, but they definitely sounded a lot better when slid out into the room.

You might want to take a look at the Sonus Fabers. While I cannot say these are of the warm tonality you are looking for they are often described as being refined. It may prove too refined for some though.

The Concertinas are both warm and can sit on top of shelves, out of harm's way. A couple of steps down are the Epos ELS-3 which are quite warm and a bargain for the money (Hirsch might agree with me on this) and can be raised to eye level.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EPOSELS3