SVS Ultra Towers

postjack

http://www.svsound.com/speakers/ultra-series

Basically this is a (A) talk me down or (B) dew eet thread.

So as I indicated elsewhere I passed the CPA exam, people around the office keep asking what I'm going to do to celebrate. I was thinking about buying some speakers for the HT, the SVS Ultra Towers.

Why towers instead of bookshelves, since I've been so happy with bookshelves plus sub? Well, if I'm not happy running the towers full range, I can always cross them over at 40 or 60 and throw a sub back in the mix, effectively making them bookshelf speakers again, but I have the benefit of BAD ASS looking towers. I really can't get over how awesome those things look. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc, but man I just love their look.

My SVS cylinder sub is the longest running piece of audio equipment I own. I did own SVS's previous line of M-Series speakers, and actually hated them. Completely uninvolving. What I've read is the Ultra series was designed by a guy SVS stole from PSB, and I'm really impressed with my PSB B6 bookshelves, so thats a good indicator.

Other downside is my receiver (Denon 2112CI) might not have the juice to push the Towers to their full potential, but I can always change that up later.

SVS has a 45 day return policy, and they cover shipping both ways, so there is really no risk on my part to try them out, other than having to deal with repackaging big heavy speakers etc.

Every professional review of the speakers is pretty positive (but what is the last negative audio review you've read?). I don't think the Ultras are too popular, as there are not a ton of impressions out there about them. I imagine even with the 45 day return policy, they are pricey and people don't want to mess with the pain of returning them if they don't work out.

Thought I would post this on the off chance someone has actually heard these at a show, or just wants to wildly throw opinions around.

SVS are more famous for their subs, I've heard zero about their speakers.  I would think for US$1K you could do better, but you won't know unless you try, so I say dew et, and utilize that 45 day return policy if it doesn't work out.

They do look pretty bad-ass, though.  Kinda like the Quad 22L or 23L.

When I posted this I had a feeling you would be the first to respond, and you would saw "dew eet".

My thinking behind hearing so little about SVS's speakers is either (1) they are bad (2) they are good, but they are trying to break into the speaker market, and since most people think of them as a sub company, its difficult to gain traction.

Regarding (2) above, I think that is the goal with the new Prime speaker line, to put them at a low enough price point to get some sales and get the word out there. But I'm personally more interested in the Ultras.

Wildly throwing an opinion.

Having gone down the path of single driver tower > multi driver bookshelf > multi driver tower > single driver tower I can say that towers are really THE way to go. As long as the footprint is reasonable they are so easy to decouple yet retain the larger "size" of sound I only really hear from a tower (probably because of cabinet interplay). And that is consistent whether it's got one driver or several. For HT, you definitely want large sound.

As for a sub, well I didn't really appreciate a solid sub implementation until I heard Mike G's Cicada rig and it sounded fucking perfect. If you need one, cool. But I bet you don't. 

Oh and that price is awesome. I like the nuanced angles on the front baffle. The Prime's look kind of like PSB Images on steroids.

• Like 1

If they are half as good as their subs, which I have no reason to believe they would be anything less, then go for it.

I love my SVS PC Ultra sub.

Also, 45 day inhome trial.

Yeah I have an older SVS cylinder sub (2039 i think, its was the middle of the lineup several years ago) and damn if it hasn't performed like a champ for many years. If i got another sub it would definitely be the PC Ultra. I think the SB Ultra looks amazing, but the PC offers better performance in the sub 30 frequencies.

Wildly throwing an opinion.

Having gone down the path of single driver tower > multi driver bookshelf > multi driver tower > single driver tower I can say that towers are really THE way to go. As long as the footprint is reasonable they are so easy to decouple yet retain the larger "size" of sound I only really hear from a tower (probably because of cabinet interplay). And that is consistent whether it's got one driver or several. For HT, you definitely want large sound.

As for a sub, well I didn't really appreciate a solid sub implementation until I heard Mike G's Cicada rig and it sounded fucking perfect. If you need one, cool. But I bet you don't. 

Oh and that price is awesome. I like the nuanced angles on the front baffle. The Prime's look kind of like PSB Images on steroids.

This is good to know. I think bookshelves plus sub has become the popular route for home theater simply because its much easier to get the bass right with a sub, since you can position the sub wherever you want in the room, allowing you to avoid nulls and all that jazz. Then run a quick room correction and you are good to go. You could definitley do the same thing with towers and just cross them over at 80, 60, or 40, but then you are basically paying for frequencies the tower can produce that you will never use.

While I very well may end up crossing over the towers, I'd at least like to hear if the 8" side firing woofers on the Ultras are enough for me. If not, I still have a great looking pair of speakers I can pair with the sub, no audible harm done.

My thinking behind hearing so little about SVS's speakers is either (1) they are bad (2) they are good, but they are trying to break into the speaker market, and since most people think of them as a sub company, its difficult to gain traction.

I really doubt they're bad.  I've heard zero about them -- either way.  I suspect your #2 suspicion is correct.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the SVS speakers. 

Since we are talking about SVS, has anyone heard their sealed subs?  I am asking for an SB-2000 for Christmas from hubby.  I don't think I can get him to allow anything bigger for the living room (or much more expensive).  I'll be using this with a pair of Monitor Audio RX6.  

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the SVS speakers. 

Since we are talking about SVS, has anyone heard their sealed subs?  I am asking for an SB-2000 for Christmas from hubby.  I don't think I can get him to allow anything bigger for the living room (or much more expensive).  I'll be using this with a pair of Monitor Audio RX6.  

I've read good things but never heard one myself. Will this be for music or HT?

From what I've read, generally speaking, at least with regards to SVS subs, the ported subs are just as quick as their sealed counterparts, so the old adage of sealed being better for music does not apply. What you'll primarily lose in a sealed sub is <20 frequencies, which you'll almost never have to deal with in music except for James Blake or organ music. But there is lots of sub 20 content in movies.

The best reason to get a sealed sub is therefore to save space, which is a damn good reason because those ported subs are enormous. The alternative are their cylinder subs, which give you all the benefits of the ported sub with the smaller footprint of the sealed sub, the enclosure just goes up instead of out. But the SB subs are infinitely better looking than the carpeted cylinders, at least to me.

I'd love to see a cylinder all in piano black, but I imagine its price prohibitive.

It will be for both music and HT.  There is no way that hubby is going to let me get a PB-2000 or PC-2000 - too big and ugly.  The FR of the SB-2000 claims to be 19-220 Hz \pm 3.  

Right now I have a crappy AV123 x-series sub which is pretty but it hums all the time so I never plug it in.  I sometimes use it for movies but never for music.  I'm sure the SB-2000 should be a lot better than it. 

Edited by shellylh

Great, so you can just ship one over to to me.

Sure, you serious?  I do owe you.  I looked up the two I have, and they're the SB12-NSD and the SB1000.  I'm pretty sure I ordered the SB12-NSD in glossy to match the Quad 12Ls, so I'm keeping that one, but I got the SB1000 in flat to match the Pioneers, and I sold the towers to a friend because I have too many speakers (in my defense, we unboxed them while I was there, but he still hasn't connected them up -- that was several months ago...and yes, he knew that I had them for over a year, unboxed, before that).  You are, of course, welcome to it. 

Re: "bad Dusty!" -- seriously!  WTF is wrong with me?  Oh yeah, I know -- shopaholic.

Sure, you serious?  I do owe you.  I looked up the two I have, and they're the SB12-NSD and the SB1000.  I'm pretty sure I ordered the SB12-NSD in glossy to match the Quad 12Ls, so I'm keeping that one, but I got the SB1000 in flat to match the Pioneers, and I sold the towers to a friend because I have too many speakers (in my defense, we unboxed them while I was there, but he still hasn't connected them up -- that was several months ago...and yes, he knew that I had them for over a year, unboxed, before that).  You are, of course, welcome to it. 

Re: "bad Dusty!" -- seriously!  WTF is wrong with me?  Oh yeah, I know -- shopaholic.

I was just joking of course!  Plus, then hubby would have nothing to get me for Christmas.  :)

I'll have to call SVS and talk about shipping. They ship the ultras via freight on a pallet, and I can't ship them to my ups box because there is no way i can fit them in my car. Their website says they will call you 24 hours ahead of time to arrange delivery, I just need to find out what kind of arrival window they give you. Work is busy right now so I can't take 4 hours off waiting for speakers, but if they can give me a specific time that will work. We'll see how that goes.

Jack, have you definitely decided to buy them?  You may want to do more research.  I basically heard these are pretty well-regarded, punching above their price point with strong bass, dynamics and imaging.  But there have been some reports of less-then-nice treble at times, so I'd be leery without doing more research....