HeadphoneAddict seriously injured in car accident

Blutarsky

Yes it was closed later, but our westbound lanes had no ice or snow, athough you could probably outrun the fog after 75mph if you wanted to.

I'm not sure what caused the eastbound accident that we passed, but fortunately, because we were going slower after seeing it, and flashing our brights at everybody that was going eastbound, we in effect reduced the total closing speed in the head-on collision caused the gentleman in the eastbound lane who seemed to be going full speed and lost control.

I'm looking forward to seeing the accident report and investigation of the guesstimated speeds that both parties were traveling. I'm 100% certain that we were not driving too fast ourselves. The other gentleman who caused the accident has progressive insurance, and they have already excepted fault for the accident and will be replacing our car and other property that was damaged in the accident.

I'm being transferred to an acute rehab program in Colorado Springs tonight. McKenna is not a candidate for that yet, but will be going back to surgery on Monday to have the pins and rods replaced with plates and screws. They could not keep her in the hospital until then, so she is going home to be cared for by my wife, son and other daughter until surgery next week.

My son and his friends are going to move my daughters bedroom down to the dining room on the main floor, where she'll probably spend the next six weeks. McKenna is not allowed to bear weight, so we rented a wheelchair, and bought a transfer board, a commode with folding arms, and a shower chair. Then my wife's boss stepped in and paid for our commode and shower chair, even though I had given them my credit card information. I thought that was really nice!

Oh man, Larry...I have this scrunchy/pained look on my face just reading about all of this and seeing the pictures.

Your tone is really straightforward, you must still be in shock over the situation.  I'll check in after a while to see how you and McKenna are doing.

Really glad that you are able to post here but worried about McKenna's pain.

Thank god you were both wearing your seat-belts. I wouldn't want to imagine what might have happened if you were not.

I still find it shocking how many people you have to prod in this day and age to wear a seat-belt. Thankfully my new car won't stop beeping at them until they finally decide to put it on :).

Damn Larry, this is a nasty business. The main thing is that you're both still with us and in one piece. it sounds like everybody is pulling together and you've got people around you who will help you pull through.

And whatever kind of car you were driving- buy that one from now on! no doubt.

Have as merry a medicated Christmas as possible!

It still doesn't feel like Christmas.  

I've endured about 3 hours of therapy today, and will have to do that every day until I go home on the 6th. It's terrifying (painful and breathless).  We'll have to find home healthcare by my discharge on the 6th, although our health insurance wont pay for it.  I went into this already disabled and don't have the strength, energy, or lung capacity to become fully independent before the next 6 weeks. This is a good reason to not let yourself become overweight like this, but it's hard to exercise with one working lung and fibromyalgia.

My wife will not be able to return to work until the 2nd or 5th, because she and McKenna will be in Denver Swedish Medical Center next Monday-Thursday for her next surgery. The only ankle surgeon in Colorado Springs that can do this case was trained by our surgeon, but he's away for the holidays.

So she will run out of paid time off/Holiday pay 2-3 days before she returns to work, I really need one of the buyers interested in my KGBH to complete the deal, so we can use the money for healthcare.  Starting to get depressed, FML on Christmas Eve alone.

Thank god you were both wearing your seat-belts. I wouldn't want to imagine what might have happened if you were not.

I still find it shocking how many people you have to prod in this day and age to wear a seat-belt. Thankfully my new car won't stop beeping at them until they finally decide to put it on :).

I got in a Facebook argument a few years ago with a dumb woman commenting on a news article which said 16 people died in car accidents over Thsnksgiving, and 9 weren't wearing seatbelts. Her response: "See, it doesn't matter if you wear one, it's 50/50" [emoji14]alm:

You should have someone working to get the other driver paying for all this.  You should end up with no out of pocket costs, given the situation. 

Shouldn't Larry's insurer basically be handling this?

And hang in there Larry.  It's going to be a long road to recovery for both of you.  10+ years ago my sister was involved in a similar circumstance while driving cross-country with a friend and it was way more difficult than necessary to get the insurance companies to cover what they should have.