Are the JH13's still the top $1000 IEM pick?

recstar24

I was set on a set of hd800's but I'm thinking a set of customs would be a more versatile option. I owned the 13's before and sounded nice but the fit was OK and ended up selling them.

Planning on using it as a primary phone from the dsha 0 as well as iPhone. Budget is about $1000, it's been awhile since I've really been into the whole IEM thing so not really sure what people are using nowadays.

For everyday home use I'd prefer full-sized cans to customs.

This.  For me, IEMs are for times when I want to shut the world out.  The most important of these is air travel.

Edit:

Looking at the Innerfidelity Hall of Fame shows that there is a competitor to the JH-13 at the $1K price point.  I haven't heard them so this is just another data point for you, not a recommendation.

Tyll wrote:

Unique Melody Miracle ($950)

ToTLMaddness_Photo_UMMiracle.jpg

With marvelous clarity like JH13, but without the emphasized bass response, the Unique Melody Miracle is great for acoustic music of all types. Jazz and Classical listeners will find these excellent. The JH13 will provide better coherence and imaging, but at times may be slightly too bassy for some purists.

I enjoyed the sound of the Unique Melody Miracle quite a bit. I felt the tonal balance overall was quite neutral with just a bit of additional mid-treble sparkle and a slight lack of bass. The Miracle sounded polite and airy, and would be a good choice for classical and acoustic music listeners.
Edited by guzziguy

This.  For me, IEMs are for times when I want to shut the world out.  The most important of these is air travel.

Edit:

Looking at the Innerfidelity Hall of Fame shows that there is a competitor to the JH-13 at the $1K price point.  I haven't heard them so this is just another data point for you, not a recommendation.

Tyll wrote:

I actually had the opportunity to audition a universal Miracle a few times (including at home for a month) and they're fantastic earphones IMO. Definitely not as fun as the JH13s, but, to my ears, quite a bit more neutral. Maybe not what I'd chose if I were looking for a single IEM (however, if you're considering an HD800 they may be more up your alley than a JH13), but they're exactly what I'm contemplating to pair up with my Roxannes.

btw not a fan of the miracles but ymmv, the 13 fp is pretty crazy good for the dough. I use them at home but yes I do prefer the AT w3000s at times. 

Wasn't my W3000ANV yours? I bought them from blubliss. You got another one?

I actually had the opportunity to audition a universal Miracle a few times (including at home for a month) and they're fantastic earphones IMO. Definitely not as fun as the JH13s, but, to my ears, quite a bit more neutral. Maybe not what I'd chose if I were looking for a single IEM (however, if you're considering an HD800 they may be more up your alley than a JH13), but they're exactly what I'm contemplating to pair up with my Roxannes.

Wasn't my W3000ANV yours? I bought them from blubliss. You got another one?

For straight up neutral I really like the UE Ref Monitors as well, I almost bought a pair the other day when Massdrop had them for $675

Yes on the W3000s, I had sellers remorse and bought another pair

Nate, I saw on IF you think very highly of the 1964's, do you have any thoughts on their highest end model (v6?)

I'm hoping to leverage the success of the article into a follow along that allows me to sample on or two, higher end models but I'm already working on two other pieces so it's going to be a while before I get to anything like that.

• Like 3

I would recommend the JH Audio but their craftsmanship is poor IMO.  Mine is slightly over 2 years old and it got repaired twice.  Actually more times than that given that their repair tech can't seem to get the driver wired correctly.  I say go for a full sized phones if you want better sound, but get the Custom IEMs if you want to listen on the go.  BTW, I highly recommended the silver dragon IEM cable to anyone if you want the last bit from your old 13pro.  Another candidate is the Sony MDR-Z7 reterminated with a really good silver cable.  Stock for the Z7 is too bassy but they do sound much better after the cable upgraded plus your iPhone should drive them okay. 

My JH13 wasnt as pretty inside as some other customs, but the JH16s have been great. never had any problems though some pairs probably get a lot more use than mine. the Westone ES5 is my other custom - doesn't sound as good as the JH13, but is still excellent

in (personal) JH news, i just went to their facebook page for the first time in years and it was posted today that Jerry's daughter passed away. There will be a memorial on Monday in Orlando

Edited by justin

I'm thinking she had a mitochondrial DNA disorder, and outlived the doctor's expectations. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Femedicine.medscape.com%2Farticle%2F948360-overview&ei=PjqnVJ-WMM6SyAT7qIKgAw&usg=AFQjCNGSGgJmbAadtEfaXbMajlcw0La93A&sig2=uQHorQH6JGMFOL_-qZI5vQ&bvm=bv.82001339,d.aWw

It still sucks, but she got so much love while she was here to make up for a short life.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict
  • Like 4

Jerry and his wife had mentioned her a number of times when I was around; there was always a deep sense of a parent's love when they did. It seemed like they were fully committed to loving and caring for her as best as they could. I think they knew the day would be coming and they embraced their time with her. So poignant and sad.