and now for something completely different part 3

kevin gilmore

1 hour ago, Pars said:

Now there is a HC approved overkill transformer!

The two trimpots on the GRLV by the output terminals are for balancing out the output voltages.

haha it seeems like a little bit overkill... i agreed but the price between 200VA/100VA is almost the same. same price more weight🤣

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

finished today my cfa2, was a trouble free build beside that i like small case (think is a tetris disorder i caught in my teenage years ;-).

once again, these trafo covers look nice but the shielding effect is near zero, to get ride of a small hum i needed to add some grain oriented bands. heatsinkt of the case seems a bit overdesingned, gets only a bit warm. offset without servos was surprising low at around 10-15mv, could use nice matched mje15030/15031 from my previous dynahi project.

the amps sounds very nice, one of the few amps that are neural and speedy that i like, really a "wire with gain" type of desing. thanks a lot for the design kevin gilmore and all of you for the help from this forum :-).

cfa2_aa.jpg

cfa2_bb.jpg

• Like 11

it's a BRZHIFI BZ2607  case from aliex..., size is  260*311*70mm.  i have to many silver boxes so i like compact sizes even if the layout isn't perfekt.

the trafo is a 100va /24volt from triad magnetic VPT24-4170 (mouser), with a bias of 200ma the amp needs only around 40va so a lot of reserve here, next time i would chose one that is a bit smaler.

Here is an attempt to make a “smd raal uberamp driver”. I followed Kevin’s schematic. The big resistor is for feedback/gain, I guess 1.5 – 2 W is required 1999272768_raalpreubertop.thumb.JPG.7b1c6b4e692ab43984d6f06d3991992f.JPG

and a few components on “solder” side.
1504106947_raalpreuberbottom.thumb.JPG.dbf28a051d427b28b927e0d6e4c29aa9.JPG

The real challenge will be the power sections. 3A x * +/-24V * 8 * balanced - might be a bit extreme for headphone amplifier…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2020 at 1:49 PM, rumina said:

it's a BRZHIFI BZ2607  case from aliex..., size is  260*311*70mm.  i have to many silver boxes so i like compact sizes even if the layout isn't perfekt.

the trafo is a 100va /24volt from triad magnetic VPT24-4170 (mouser), with a bias of 200ma the amp needs only around 40va so a lot of reserve here, next time i would chose one that is a bit smaler.

Don't forget that a transformer shouldn't work near max output current. Most recommendations for Class A amplifier are to use something with at least double the output current capability. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here on ”test bench” or floor.  BZ8A0320.thumb.jpg.d87e24b9044e4643ea156cfcd15dc4b0.jpg

Output board on heat sink powered by the box to the right containing two Mean Wells 2*24V/15A. Driver board is powered by AMB dual sigma set at 15V.

Upper DMM shows 0.166V cross one of the 0.47 ohm power resistor. 65.5 on the other meter is temperature in Celsius, prob has a special hole in the heat sink. I’ve run this at higher current… 95 degree Celsius - not got good for wooden floor.

Sound quality – interesting. Try a balanced version. Two output boards on one (bigger) heat sink…

• Like 3

Completed a second channel of a Raal amplifier. 
BZ8A0325.thumb.JPG.116a89098994c4a3b996641d545a8510.JPG

Current through output boards are 2.5 A giving heat sink (Modushop 300 x 40 x 80 mm) temperature of 85 degree Celsius (185 dergee Fahrenheit).

Driver boards powered by +/- 15V. Original it’s +/-35V. I might try the higher voltage but my idea is to use mostly smd parts in driver boards and then you probably have to reduce voltage to something like +/- 15V.

There is no bass filter at the moment on the boards but Roon is taking care of that.

Rear plate is to short. But that was what I had at hand – shouldn’t affect the sound?

Edited by JoaMat
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve reduced power board voltages to +/-12 V. Two Mean Wells 12 V capable to deliver 29 A. Heat sink temperature decreased considerable – of course. My old ears think the sound is as good as with +/-24 V

Next step is to make a few more boards to get a balanced set up.

• Like 1

That makes sense now, and after re-reading the data sheet the default value is 50K, but it does state they can accommodate 10K, 20K and 100K... probably as a special order of no less than 200pcs haha.

Earlier today I reached out to Alps Alpine, I may get lucky, if not there's a 10K Goldpoint 47 stepper.