HC Motorcycle Gang

Aimless1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Got a late start to riding this year.  Had time, weather crappy.  No time, weather beautiful.  Typical Spring in Michigan.  Finally got out for the first ride of the season, albeit just commuting.  This is going to be fun this year.  I am much more agile on the bike now that I've lost a few pounds.  Rather than sit and ride, I should be able to ride and drive.  Rather than steer into corners I'm flicking into and out of them.  :) 

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Just made an offer and it was accepted for this beast.

2013 BMW K1600 GTL

Rode for a couple of hours Saturday.  Unbelievable.  6th gear at 10mph, hit the throttle and instant acceleration.  You would think big and clumsy.  Nope.  Very flickable.  

Just as important, my favorite rider (Karyl) approves :)

DSC01496.JPG

• Like 11

• 8 months later...

Thread resurrection.  Seems like winter time is the perfect time to discuss all the cool stuff I need to buy to get prepared for March-April.  

Looking at riding gear.  Seems like Klim is the high end, non-Brent line, for touring jackets, etc.  Not sure how they could be worth $1600 for a coat when so many of the others are in the 400-600 range.  Better construction I assume with a touch of name brand douchy upcharge?

I got all of the BMW luggage and the Ver 6 GPS with the bike as well as some crash protection for the cylinder heads.

So what great things should I be shopping for while I await the stupid snow to go away?

Edited by VPI

Might consider pannier protectors ... that plastic is expensive.  

On the K1600 forum they love Klim and BMW gear.  I find the 400-600 stuff works just fine for me.

If you're taking the GS off road you'll want adventure or track boots if you don't have them.

Have fun!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up my BMW Navigation system and grabbed the SCHUBERTH comm package for my helmet. Now since the bike is in winter storage I will need to set it all up and then walk the streets with my helmet on and the GPS directing so I can check that I can talk on the phone, listen to music and get directions all in the proper priority. Maybe no one will notice.

70eec652ff7bb29d2295abce0fcf3829.jpg

bd45aa889a94c84d214364ebdee08293.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Random shots from the International Motorcycle Show today.

motorcycle14-X2.jpg

motorcycle13-X2.jpg

motorcycle11-X2.jpg

motorcycle10-X2.jpg

motorcycle9-X2.jpg

motorcycle8-X2.jpg

motorcycle7-X2.jpg

motorcycle6-X2.jpg

motorcycle5-X2.jpg

motorcycle4-X2.jpg

motorcycle3-X2.jpg

motorcycle2-X2.jpg

motorcycle1-X2.jpg

motorcycle17-X2.jpg

motorcycle18-X2.jpg

motorcycle15-X2.jpg

motorcycle19-X2.jpg

motorcycle16-X2.jpg

One that I was most intrigued to see. The new version of the original super bike. This one is one that I might own at some point.

ec2a118a4bbe2042b0aa47aafeb31dbb.jpg

Very interested in the new tiny BMW. Especially after I saw it used in the stunt show so well.

motorcycle12-X2.jpg

And finally, the 2018 version of my dad’s 1972 Suzuki bike.

a6d8ec07a8117733a700c1e075d2fa7b.jpg

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The winter appears to be finally over so I picked up the new Beemer from winter storage. The Klim Badlands Pro is really hot in traffic, even with all the vents open.

10892b52bccf3eabaf7869048e5bc823.jpg

b54f94db9a3ba9d123c8ec3a1349bc2d.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Nothing (short of AC) can make up for standing directly over a motor, wearing long pants and a long-sleeve something, in the hot sun.

The Rev’it Airwave 2 jacket and pants made a huge difference. Not quite AC, but dramatically cooler than the Klim and Belstaff coats and Saint armored jeans.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Spent all day at the BMW dealer to get upper crash bars installed and when the finally brought it out it looked like this.

b1b7cba6b17ca649a4fa96dae334da6f.jpg

707c6f70fe02f6e7d6b190a775ca22ac.jpg

They proceeded to tell me that the crash bars are supposed to be touching the fucking fairings so I had to fight them to even check. Ends up they ordered the wrong ones and put the bars from a 2013-2016 on the bike. Not sure yet if they have scraped up the fairings, but I might be ending some BMW people shortly.

Jeff,

Been away from HC  for a while.  Catching up.  Bike looks great with the bars installed.

Klim is heavy duty vs Olympia, Firstgear or Rev It and will always be warmer.  In hot weather I wear an older Firstgear Rush which is actually cooler than riding without a jacket ..... unless you're stuck in traffic.  Incredible ventilation.  Bought the bohnarmor for under jeans but haven't worn it yet.  Always looking for something with great protection but cooler to ride in.

I don't do group rides or go to MOA or other meetups.  Occasionally ride with friends but that's as close as I get to traveling in a group.

Enjoy!