absolute cheapest vinyl rig possible...

recstar24

Slightly off-topic, but I've been eyeing the U-Turn real hard over the last few weeks as my first rig. Do any of the other cheaper TTs offer balanced outputs from the cartridge? I wanted to build a preamp first. and it seems like a proper balanced/differential amp would be great for noise rejection. It feels kind of silly to use a transformer for phase splitting (and not step-up) when the cartridge doesn't need to be ground-referenced.

I really want the white plinth with acrylic platter. Looks awesome. Do you use a different cartridge from what's available from U-Turn?

Not yet - still rocking the original - Ortofon OM 5E Phono Cartridge.

Maybe someday - but would rather work on my Linn LP12 first. The U-turn rig is doing what it was bought for - bring vinyl goodness into my living room. (done)

Slightly off-topic, but I've been eyeing the U-Turn real hard over the last few weeks as my first rig. Do any of the other cheaper TTs offer balanced outputs from the cartridge? I wanted to build a preamp first. and it seems like a proper balanced/differential amp would be great for noise rejection. It feels kind of silly to use a transformer for phase splitting (and not step-up) when the cartridge doesn't need to be ground-referenced.

Anything with a 5-pin DIN plug is balanced from the cartridge, that I have seen. It's easy to rewire if it's not.

• Like 1

Anything with a 5-pin DIN plug is balanced from the cartridge, that I have seen. It's easy to rewire if it's not.

I could not be bothered to quote PretentiousFood...

I'm not totally convinced of the benefits of a balanced phono stage. 

Balanced inputs, so that you get noise rejection for the cartridge level signal, absolutely. Balanced RIAA? SOOOOOOOOOO much work for no benefit. 

Balanced inputs. Convert to SE (transformer or op-amp based to get noise rejection) do RIAA & voltage gain single ended. Do whatever you gotta do for outputs (transformer or op amp phase splitter).

Balanced RIAA? SOOOOOOOOOO much work for no benefit. 

Really? It's not much more work for lots of benefit. The RIAA doesn't change-- you just go from signal to signal instead of signal to ground (and double the impedance). The benefit is not worrying about grounding and noise. If I was only going to have one balanced component, it would be the phono stage.

rtp5_rev_1_s.gif

Funny coincidence story.....

Was selling my Chestnut Hill George table radio through CraigsList, a woman named JoAnne and her friend Vicky came by to listen and purchase.  We talked about love of music and audio.

Vicky mentioned her son was involved with manufacturing turntables, so I asked what company.  She started to answer, "He's right here in Woburn...it's..." and I finished the sentence "...U-Turn...!"

She was pleasantly surprised that I had heard of it, and very happy to hear it was recommended and well-received here.

FWIW, she says they are very customer-service oriented, and many people (not just his mother, she laughs) think pretty highly of them.