Soekris discrete R2R DAC?

UFN

2 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

i've been saying that the switches in a r2r dac were a real problem for many years now. especially the ttl versions.

the teac ud-701n is the cheapest ($4k) of the esoteric dacs that use custom and hand matched switches. I expect that better switches will be the new big deal in the next couple of years.

They need to make one of those with a sacd spinner inside … 

4 minutes ago, kevin gilmore said:

teac nt-505 driven native usb up to dsdx8 from laptop. and ethernet for which the app sucks.

waiting for the new app before i get the nt-701.

playing physical discs with more than 15000 total (more than 5000 sacd and 10000 cd) is just no longer practical. There is media literally all over the house.

Why don't you try roon or LMS for free? Control from an iPad, phone or any browser.
You can use the Laptop as the client or any other dedicated device. The Teac would be a roon endpoint directly.

You separate the client from the server and control device by doing so. I have yet to see an HW vendor app that matches a SW vendor only app. Not even Linn is up there. 

• Like 1

too much music that will never ever end up on commercial music services.

the teac app works 100% reliably. via smb.      wireless even.

the nas drives are western digital4100 and have been 100% reliable over the last 10 years.

the denon receiver in the home theater room also plays via smb just fine.

apple and amazon boxes also work fine via smb.

dlna is a massive pile of crap and i refuse to use it. whoever thought to limit a database length was a moron.

Edited by kevin gilmore

No, you do not connect to commercial music services, no streaming. 

You just use roon or LMS to play your local library only. From the same server, via same protocol (smb), via same network, only use one of the best (universal) Apps (roon or LMS) to play/control that stuff.

You can change the client, you can add rooms and play in sync, whatever... always using the same App and accessing the same music files on your server. 

One could do wild things with roon, even DSP on the client, calibration with mikes or digitally splitting into bands for active speakers, etc., Very cool advanced stuff. 

Both LMS and roon do local libraries. It is common misunderstanding that those are streaming only. 

Edited by audiostar
  • Like 1

Not talking about DLNA as well, they use own bit-perfect protocols when streaming from your local server to the clients.
Yes, DLNA is crap (and I refuse to use it as well) but not RAAT nor what LMS does.

You can install roon on any windows, linux or macos box in your network (and it will mount the media from your wd4100 via smb). LMS is available directly for NAS boxes as well (and is open source). They would then do lib management and presentation, streaming and client control via app or web server (on whatever device)
Roon is the best possible music discovery app as well. It will just find more music to listen to than you thought you had on your server 🙂

Edited by audiostar

• 2 months later...
On 4/21/2022 at 11:07 AM, kevin gilmore said:

i've been saying that the switches in a r2r dac were a real problem for many years now. especially the ttl versions.

the teac ud-701n is the cheapest ($4k) of the esoteric dacs that use custom and hand matched switches. I expect that better switches will be the new big deal in the next couple of years.

The Soekris 2541 calibrates itself on startup, to compensate for any small differences in switches or resistors

• Like 1

• 9 months later...