Vinnie Rossi's LIO

Voltron

Blah, blah, blah, ...

Although I did not listen to too much other gear that day, Vinnie's setup sounded far superior than:

- Blah

- Blah Blah

- unknown PC-based source->Mjolnir Audio KGSS->Stax SR009

Blah, blah, blah, ...

Sorry, but you just lost all credibility with that one. FTMFL!

• Like 1

Sorry, but you just lost all credibility with that one. FTMFL!

I could have put it on my website that I didn't recommend using the KGSSHV (I think that one was a HV) with the SR-009.  I certainly said it enough... :)  That was with the old ones though and it is no longer a factor with the fixed SR-009's.

I never got confirmation that they fixed the 007II/A too so I just bought a set to try out.  If they fixed the diaphragm then they could finally be modified like the SZ2's. 

Edited by spritzer

I could have put it on my website that I didn't recommend using the KGSSHV (I think that one was a HV) with the SR-009.  I certainly said it enough... :)  That was with the old ones though and it is no longer a factor with the fixed SR-009's.

I never got confirmation that they fixed the 007II/A too so I just bought a set to try out.  If they fixed the diaphragm then they could finally be modified like the SZ2's. 

Huh, this made me think.

My subjective impression is that my replacement pair of 009s does sound better than my first pair (bought via PJ before they went on sale in the US) with the HV. I thought I was imagining things. Could be just having brand new pads, but maybe they really did fix something in the later 009 production runs?

Edited by TMoney

Huh, this made me think.

My subjective impression is that my replacement pair of 009s does sound better than my first pair (bought via PJ before they went on sale in the US) with the HV. I thought I was imagining things. Could be just having brand new pads, but maybe they really did fix something in the later 009 production runs?

Mulveling's new SR009s doesn't sound any more mellow on the top ends compared to my older pair.  In fact his is slightly brighter.  I hope he can share his experience b/w my old and his new pair.

Huh, this made me think.

They did fix them.  This has been confirmed, both why and how they did it. 

The pads are a bit different but they are not the change.  I've already swapped pads and the difference is not there. 

The info comes directly from Stax but without going into too much detail, they finally had the equipment to see what we were complaining about.  Said things were then fixed... 

The pads are a bit different but they are not the change.  I've already swapped pads and the difference is not there. 

The info comes directly from Stax but without going into too much detail, they finally had the equipment to see what we were complaining about.  Said things were then fixed... 

I did not realize that when Stax does shit, it is a state secret  ::)

They have always been like that.  All those different SRM-1 Mk2 designs, different SRM- T1's, the SR-Omega being in constant evolution for those two years they made them, the SR-007Mk1 being a collection of at least 4 major design changes plus the whole 007Mk2 and then Mk2.5. 

I think the reference is pretty valid, Birgir, since early adopters of the 009 have essentially been given the shaft in much the same way as people bitch about Audeze doing.  You like Stax more and consequently cut them a lot more slack, e.g. a ~$4000+ headphone shouldn't require restuffing its earpads on day one to sound correct but somehow you're ok with that. 

You know that I don't cut Stax any slack at all.  How many times have people said here that I was overly critical of the 009's?  Add to that the Lambda lineup, the 007Mk2, their crappy stock amps and how am I cutting them any slack at all?

The angling of the earpads is a personal preference, just me preferring a smaller, tighter sound stage and not the diffuse one Stax set the phones up to give. 

Also any comparison with Audeze has to boil down to them shipping out defective units.  Stax don't do that and the channel imbalance issue sure isn't a defect in that sense.  It can happen to any electrostatic transducer.