Vinnie Rossi's LIO

Voltron

For what it's worth I don't read this as a personal preference statement:

One must do mod with the 009 is to stuff the inside of the earpads with some foam.  This restores the soundstage they are missing. 

And look, I'm not here to argue with you about this.  If nothing else maybe I'm giving you a little insight into how your comments are perceived by a relatively sane individual. 

• Like 2

How can anything sound wise not be a personal preference?  They are missing the accurate soundstage of the 007, I think most would agree about that.  I could have said "sharp soundstage" but this still stands.  . 

I'm sure many people would welcome the slightly diffused sound but it's not for me.  In comparison to the Audeze, people have been known to roll pads on them to get the sound they like.  Stuffing some scrap foam between the baffle and the pads would be simple and cheap compared to that. 

• 4 months later...

Mulveling's new SR009s doesn't sound any more mellow on the top ends compared to my older pair. In fact his is slightly brighter. I hope he can share his experience b/w my old and his new pair.

My newer pair (Feb 2015) was in fact slightly brighter compared to Purk's older pair (isn't yours 3 years now?). But I'm confident it's down to pad conditioning as there was quite a difference in firmness there. I'd be ecstatically happy with either pair. There is no newer more mellow version. They're all basically the same and sound great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, no truth to that.  There is a new version and it has been confirmed both by Stax and dozens of users.  Same for the 007A/Mk2 and probably the Lambdas too. 

Between Mike and I we own three SR009s.  Mine is the oldest (3 years old) while his latest one was purchased in February of this year and his older one is about a year old.  Surprisingly my 009 is a tiny bit mellower at the top end than Mike's.  And we do have good amps to drive them Birgir, one of them is your KGSSHV mini, full-size KGSSHV, BHSE, and my DIY-T2. 

• Like 1

Doesn't change the fact that they have been changed and it has been confirmed.  The difference isn't subtle so take what you will from that. 

Can you please outline the difference?  When Mike brought over his two much newer SR009s and we both didn't notice much of difference beside mine having a more mellow top end.

Many users have compared them but basically all the horrible upper midrange/lower treble etch and edge are mostly gone.  It does creep up from time to time when the phones are being pushed hard so they haven't completely eliminated the issue. 

This has cleaned up other parts of the spectrum too so they've gone from a set I wouldn't touch to an enjoyable headphone.  The 007Mk2 is still a better headphone in every way though. 

• Like 1