KGST Normal bias

Earspeakers

I've got a couple normal bias Staxen I'd like to build an amp for, any ideas for any simple mods to make a normal bias KGST?

Edit: apologies if this is a simple mod, I've done searches but what comes up is for going the other direction (normal->pro)

Edited by Earspeakers

You only need to alter the bias supply for the amp to work with normal bias phones.  See here:

51nRDbKh.jpg

That is the bias supply for the normal bias on the right hand side panel of the amp, just behind the front panel.  Just a voltage divider off the B+ with a small filter cap, two resistors to form the divider and a 4M7 ballast resistor.  

• Thanks 1

Actually why not just tap off the Pro bias pin (assuming a dual output amp) with the network above? Two equal resistors will drop the voltage by half, and 230V is close enough to half of 480V, assuming the bias pin is correctly set to 480V or thereabouts. 

Different question, with multi output Stax amps, are the ports all simply wired in parallel? That'll double the capacitance if equal ear speakers are attached for one thing. 

Edited by Earspeakers

The reason I gave above and the Pro output is 580V, not 480V. 

Right, I keep remembering the pro bias incorrectly

How else would you wire them?  They are capacitors after all. 

Separate output drive sections. 

So folks regularly hook up multiple headphones simultaneously with no issues?  Or, when would a amp not be able to handle multiple 'phones? 

• 1 month later...

what would be the downside of building the zener string from some values that have 280V and tap the NB from there using some r/c+r/c and a balast resistor?

130V + 150V + 150V + 150V = 580V

130V + 150V = 280V

100k/100nF + 100k/100nF + 5

4M7 as balast?

ok ok ... my bad .... if you build your zener string to get 580V from something that gives you 230 somewhere ....why not tap the NB from there using a few R/C's  before the balast resistor?

can't be more noisy than the 580V since is would be a dublicate of what is going on there ...or do I completely miss the point here?

@luvdunhill: nice little utility PCB ...

...could we get a PCB containing all the neat utilities?  ....XLR in/out combined with alps ....the Stax jacks PCBs ... on/off switch ....bla bla, and so forth ...if someone would do the gerbers I'd do a GB on that ;o)

@luvdunhill: nice little utility PCB ...

...could we get a PCB containing all the neat utilities?  ....XLR in/out combined with alps ....the Stax jacks PCBs ... on/off switch ....bla bla, and so forth ...if someone would do the gerbers I'd do a GB on that ;o)

Not sure if you're kidding or not but on the off chance that you haven't seen - http://mjolnir-audio.com/?page_id=73- I'll post it.