DIY safety and build tips

Earspeakers

Did you really get the impression that folks around here needed a beginner DIY article?

Yeah, I saw a post down below of somebody asking for advice on a $80 soldering station, rather than reply I thought to make a thread for a bunch of tips. I thought it was obvious that it wasn't for the experts. 

Since your a mod just delete the thread please. 

Edited by Earspeakers

If I connect the three wires of my power cord together, does that triple the current carrying capacity of the power cord?

That was clever.

Surprising how sensitive you guys are here, though the post obviously wasn't meant for experts. 

As evidenced by the lack of deleted threads, they don't delete threads around here very often.

Well we don't really know, as there would be no evidence for deleted threads. I PM'd n_maher to please delete it but he's ignoring me, no doubt to punish me for the transgression. 

Edited by Earspeakers

Nate isn't punishing you.  We really delete very few threads here.  Yours isn't close to meriting deletion.

My advice, probably worth about what your are paying for it, is to just forget about this and move on.  Everybody else will.

Edited by guzziguy

Surprising how sensitive you guys are here,

I am too. I'd take the best of it as good natured ribbing, and the worst as insecurity. I thought the original was fine, if perhaps a bit out of place. If nothing else, it made me think that I should turn my fume hood on more often, which then made me think about how my crappy fume hood does jack, so it wasn't entirely useless. At any rate, I'd listen to guzziguy above.