Point and shoot camera recommendations?

postjack

Hey now!

Short story is I'm tired of messing with phone cameras. There's always something I'm unhappy with: apps are slow to load, difficult to hold the phone and take a good picture, changing settings using a touchscreen, takes too long for pictures to focus, etc. What I'm looking for is a nice point n' shoot for vacations, family pictures, and totin' around music festivals.

Most music festivals won't let you into the concert grounds with a camera with a detachable lens, as they reserve this privilege for people with press passes. Some have revised their rules to be "no detachable lenses over 2 inches" or something similar, but I'd rather it not be an issue as all. Couple this with the fact that I know zero about photography and I don't want a camera that is too complicated, or too expensive, which is why I want a point and shoot (or compact digital camera or whatever they call them).

I've done a bit of light googling over the weekend and have determined that a $500 price range isn't unreasonable for a decent quality small camera that will perform better than a smartphone camera. Right now I'm looking at the Sony RX100, either version I or version II. Seems to get great reviews and is in my price range. I actually went to Best Buy yesterday and messed around with the display model. I wasn't crazy about the hand feel, but I guess thats the price you pay for such a small size.

So in a nutshell:

-$500ish budget

-Relatively beginner friendly, although I'm definitely willing to take the time to learn.

-Fast focus, meaning I can quickly pull the camera up and start taking shots

So any recommendations you can throw out that I can do some more research on would be appreciated. Thanks headcase.

Edited by postjack

Sounds like a consensus for the RX100 MKII or III, thanks guys.

I should have emphasized at festivals I'm not looking to get super awesome shots of the musicians, there are plenty of pros that will do that for me. So a kick ass zoom isn't a big factor. This is more for general shots: the crowd, the scenery, large views of the stages, etc. Just some good looking photos I can flip through to remember the weekend.

For a counter point, I like my Canon S100 a lot. It is way under your budget so you could probably attend 5 or 6 additional concerts with the savings. The Sony looks nice, too, and who wouldn't want a camera made by an insurance company?

Take a look at the little Panasonics, too (the one with the Leica lens). I know some people who swear by it.

Edited by dsavitsk

For a counter point, I like my Canon S100 a lot. It is way under your budget so you could probably attend 5 or 6 additional concerts with the savings. The Sony looks nice, too, and who wouldn't want a camera made by an insurance company?

Take a look at the little Panasonics, too (the one with the Leica lens). I know some people who swear by it.

Canon S100 is really nice, and there is a really cheap one for sale somewheres around here.  >:D

Edited by VPI
  • Like 1

I like my Ricoh GR if you want something that is a little bigger (it feels very nice in the hands).  The only problem is that it is a fixed zoom and probably won't fit very well in your jean pockets.  It is fine in a jacket pocket.  It has snap focus which is very nice for low light/night shots.  

I've never tried the Sony but thought about getting an mk ii when I got the Ricoh.  

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/965424-REG/ricoh_175743_gr_digital_camera.html

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 1