Point and shoot camera recommendations?

postjack

From other members here it sounds like Abes of Maine should be avoided with extreme prejudice.

Pentax Q body of some sort with a matching Pentax 06 lens.

Small form factor, DSLR menus and functions, equivalent 35mm focal length to 70-200 zoom.

For me, this replaced my Canon S95 for your type of uses.

I thought a camera with interchangeable lens was trying to be avoided?

FYI - Abe's has long been a shady place to buy anything and often has prices that are simply too good to be true.  I've ready horror story after horror story about them and camera gear so if it was my $$ I'd shop just about anywhere else.

True, an interchangeable won't work because of the restrictions most music festivals place on them. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Very few people would recognize this to be an interchangeable lens kit. It looks like a point & shoot but offers you DSLR functionality and a quite decent 70-200 f2.8 equivalent telephoto zoom. Always a risk I suppose it may get recognized.

You may want to look into one of Richard Franiec's custom grips for the S100. It made all the difference in the world on my S95. In fact I was all set to return the camera until I installed the grip. Still using the S95 (Until I can't stand not having the RX100 ii).

You may want to look into one of Richard Franiec's custom grips for the S100. It made all the difference in the world on my S95. In fact I was all set to return the camera until I installed the grip. Still using the S95 (Until I can't stand not having the RX100 ii).

In a classic headcase move, a headcaser goes for the budget option and immediately a tweak is recommended. :)

Seriously those look nice, thanks.

• Like 2

Bah this thread. It makes me want a camera even though I've said on numerous occasions (specifically to Mike G) that my iPhone is the only source of photography I'll ever need.

DAMN YOU JACK

Edited by Aura
  • Like 1

I'd stick with that logic if I were you.  No fewer than twice, and probably more if I care to jog my memory, I've bought point and shoot cameras to bridge the gap between my DSLR and phone.  Bottom line, they all simply gathered dust.  Basically nothing is a pocketable as a phone and once I'm beyond it actually fitting comfortably in my pocket I'd rather just carry the D7000 and be able to use it like a real camera.  And my logic also gets highly tripped up on the idea of spending as much on a P&S as I would upgrading the D7000.  Anyway, obviously opinions differ but cell phone cameras have gotten so good at this point that they really do cover a lot of ground for the casual photog.  I've printed 24x36 poster quality prints from my GS5 and iPhones alike.  In my book, that's good enough.

For anyone else watching this thread, there's a pretty great deal on for the Nikon Coolpix A (APS-C 16MP fixed 28mm equiv f/2.8) at Adorama and Cameta right now, $330 shipped, refurb. I decided to order one and see how it shakes out. Not quite an RX1, but should deliver super high image quality from a pocket, and at 10-20% the cost, I'll give it a try.

• Like 2

Will do, Ric. I'm expecting similar AF peformance to the Fuji XE-1 I had stolen, with cleaner RAW files and sharper corners wide open than its' kit zoom, all while being more pocketable. While I liked thr Fuji retro controls, ultimately I get where I want quicker with DSLR style control dials. I just wish it had WIFI built in, as Eye-Fi is just a PITA.

Sorry to hear about the Eye-Fi. Was always curious about their products.

I'm basically looking for a EOS M with faster AF (and I'm good with a prime). Something with a significant IQ advantage over the iPhone 6+ (which admittedly with its optical stabilization I'm increasingly happy with), but not the hassles of the dp2 Quattro + tripod. If you don't find the A's AF gets in the way that may just be it.

I've never used an EOS-M, but I know it has a reputation for slow AF. Not sure the CP-A will be much better if you need tracking of moving objects (Nikon 1 is the only mirrorless that does a good job of that). We'll see. Like you I'm finding the Note4's optical stabilizer a boon for casual photography, but would like something small that can produce high-level prints.

Oh and Eye-Fi tends to have a lot of connection problems with its' Android app, randomly and without explanation. It will work great for weeks, then unexpectedly stop, and not work again without clearing the card and app's memories. I have seen it on more than one of their old cards. Maybe the new Mobi models are better?

Just to add a data point, the Sony RX100 mk ii (and iii, and others) have  the ability to create a wifi network.

You can pair it automatically with devices that have nfc by touching (some android phones + tablets have nfc)

or Select the wifi network on your iDevice,

Then transfer (a scaled 2Mp jpg) to your device using the "PlayMemories Mobile" app, so you can post on HC, right away!

One workflow I've used out and about (because:technology) is DSCRX100M2->iPadMini->(tethered/hotspot)Nexus 4  -> Head Case

Convergence is overrated :)

Edited by Grahame