Schiit Yggdrasil

postjack

Larry (jazzfan on head-fi) has given the following comments on my write-up which I will include here:

I only have a few comments to add:

1. It might be important to note that the differences provided by the REGEN were most noticeable over speakers vs headphones
  2. More time with the REGEN, with a wide variety of music, would be useful to fully understand its impact on a system
  3. Regarding the Yggy vs Gumby shootout, perhaps we can chalk up the results to a synergistic effect with the amp and speakers used. This is often an overlooked factor especially when opinions are formed solely on a single system. I'd like to do it again sometime if anyone is game. I have a Sanders Magtech amp that could possible produce different results (BTW... I owe you a quarter because I still have the one you lent me to randomize the selection).

interesting thoughts, thanks for sharing. one thing you might want to experiment with is evaluating the effects of the wyrd and regen over longer periods of time when you a/b

We definitely are interested in doing that, especially with the Regen which had a much more pronounced effect on the sound that the Wyrd.

Edited by TMoney

This was a very interesting audio listening session.  My biggest surprise was being able to hear the regen and wyrd affecting the sound in a very perceivable way.  

I remember a while back when Schiit first debuted at a head-fi meet and spoke to them about making DAC's.  I remember the confidence in their voice about the ability to design something good.  Not having owned any of their gear, it is nice to finally listen to to some of their newer offerings.  

It was funny that we tended to prefer the gumby on our listening material thinking that it was the yggy.  But both did sound very good.  Things got interesting as we changed the source material throughout various genres.  The mixing and matching was good fun being able to experience all the different "flavors".  Definitely some gear that is worth spending time on.

Edited by particleman14

Basic delta sigma Gungnir is ~$850. Adding the R2R DAC and Moffat over sampling filter is an additional $400 for a $1249 total. 

I have not heard the R2R Gungnir, but the Yggy is quite a step up in SQ to the basic Gungnir. From this review, looking forward to hearing one someday.

Edited by Laowei

Schiit now has Multibit Bifrosts shipping. They sure finished up the refresh to their older  DACs quickly. 

I got mine along with an Asgard 2 a couple of days ago as a birthday present to myself. Initial impressions are really positive, makes the Concero HP I've been using sound flat and thin.

• 2 weeks later...

This.  I wonder how it compares to a NAD M51 or PS Audio PWD2.

I usually struggle defining any differences between sources, I consider my one day old Yggdrasil considerably better than my NAD M51, it really took me by surprise as I wasn’t expecting the hype to live up to my expectations.

It’s definitely a landmark purchase for me.   

Edit: Yggdrasil > KGSSHV > SR-009, will spark up the BHSE at some time and give that a listen over the weekend.

Edited by johnwmclean
  • Like 1

That's interesting.   I haven't even looked at the Yggdrasil because I wouldn't buy a DAC (or amp) that needed to be on all the time.  We have too many major thunderstorms here so I keep my main gear unplugged when not in use. 

Get a Ups for it.

I agree. Having tested two there is a difference if you leave it on but it isn't that huge.

One man's huge is another man's plankton.  YMMV, IMO etc, etc.

Unlike johnwmclean's, mine has been sitting here idly feeding off electrons for the last few days.

Will give it a run later tonight.  May even compare it to the M51. 

Good thing my KGSSHV has a volume control.....  ( Yep, looking at you John)........     :D   :lol:    :P

Well, I just switched from the M51 to the YGGY.

Full of grok goodness.

The sound is smoother and yet there is more plankton to feed off.

Definitely a step up the endless High-Fidelity ladder

Dunno where the top is, but I think I can see and feel sunshine, metaphorically speaking.

This one's a keeper......  :wub:   :D

Good thing my KGSSHV has a volume control.....  ( Yep, looking at you John)........     :D   :lol:    :P

No... I actually sold the KGSSHV without a volume control and kept the KGSSHV with a volume control as I knew the Yggdrasil purchase was imminent ;)

What I miss is the M51s remote... and it doesn’t help that my racks over the other side of the room, dammit :angry:

... I swore I wasn’t going to get a Yggy for this very reason, I suppose a 21 bit digital volume would just truncate way too much.

Luckily is sounds fab so I don’t feel so jipped.

... and the calories I’m burning off to adjust volume.

Edited by johnwmclean
  • Like 1