Schiit Yggdrasil

postjack

Mine sounds pretty damn righteous for the money using the S/PDIF input.

Only complaint is that one of the two RCA outputs I'm using is loose...looks like the screw through the plastic mount inside the case was stripped during install.  Solder holding it in place I figure...

HS

1 hour ago, spritzer said:

Their stance on DSD is well known so I wouldn't hold my breath.  I must say I agree with them as DSD is just another way to sell people shit they already own

I do agree with that.  I just happen to have a lot of DSD rips...hence my reason..and I do prefer them over regular lossless which is due to better mastering.

Edited by purk

Thought I'd chime in here with my own impressions. I purchased a Yggy direct from Schitt. Have had it for about two months now. I compared it directly to the Bryston BDA-3 and the OPPO HA-1. Of course I was also able to compare it to my Neko Audio D100 Mk2, and I have a few other bits of gear around but didn't do critical comparisons to them. I was using the HA-1 balanced out for amplification and Audeze LCD-X in all cases for these comparisons. USB was used for the HA-1, Yggy, and BDA-3. Optical was used for the D100. Transport was my iMac.

I found the Yggy's sound to be very clean, but also laid back or veiled. Like everything was kind of recessed. I'm surprised I haven't read this in the many reviews of the Yggy online. By comparison the OPPO HA-1's DAC (Sabre) was more dynamic and punchy, but I think a little less clean. The Bryston BDA-3 has both the dynamics and punch of the HA-1, and I also think it is slightly cleaner than the HA-1. I think the BDA-3 would sound even cleaner and more refined with a different output filter choice; using Dirac Live RCS helped bring out the absolute best with the BDA-3. None of these sound as natural and musical to me as my D100 DAC, like an analog setup, but the D100 is a bit long in the tooth now and these newer DACs have better transient response.

• Like 2

I have the OPPO 105 and thought that it was muddied and congested compared to the Yggy.  Yggy was clearly a better DAC.  YMMV.  I was referencing the 105 because they are supposed to share the same DAC and analog output circuit.  

@spritzer

My reason for wanting a native DSD option is because going from DSD > PCM (editing) > DSD and another conversion to PCM in Yggy could result in a loss in sound quality.  I once converted my DSF file into 24/192 via Jriver and did observed a drop off in sonic refinement.   Honestly speaking, I wish SACD was never created and they all went with hi-rez PCM/DVD-A option.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The hype train around the Yggy over on "that other forum" and also SBAF is rocketing along at warp speed. Some of the claims are a little extreme and I was hoping some of the Head Case folks might give some input.

There are claims out there that the Yggy beats the best of breed DACs that sit around the 8K to 10K mark - DACs like MSB Analog, Bricasti M1, Berkeley Audio Dac 2 ... etc. That is a very hefty claim to make.

I am very unlikely to ever have the opportunity to A/B test the Yggy against these uber DACs myself - have any of the Head Case folks had that chance and care to share their thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, johnwmclean said:

A member here sold his Esoteric K0-1 for the Yggdrasil and hasn’t looked back.

True John, and I've said before that I'm enjoying the SQ from the Yggy more than I did the K-01, in fact I've also said before the Yggy stopped me from saving for a CH Precision C1.

Now the Yggy [ IMO ] is nowhere near the build quality of both the K-01 and C1, but the most important thing is SQ, and to what I recall the Yggy isn't far behind the C1, a £24,000 DAC, I would have to hear the two together to be sure though.

One thing is for sure, I'm still pissed off with the amount I lost in selling the K-01. :chair:

Edited by Dave R
  • Like 1

I ended up going with a Bricasti M1. It is an excellent DAC and beats the pants of my previous units (Auralic Vega and Hegel HD30), but then it should considering the price.

Maybe the Yggy would have delivered 90% of the performance for 30% of the price - not sure. I live in New Zealand so it is "Buy to Try" for much audio gear. The Bricasti is expensive, but a relatively sure bet. The hype around the Yggy on HF and SBAF has been heavy and intense - that makes me very cautious - been burned before on new product hype.

Because of the shilling that goes on over at the other site, it's understandable why some are apprehensive about certain products, which in this case is the Yggy, however I agree with purk, that for the price the Yggy is a steal, and I find SQ wise it better's a £15,000 SACD/DAC,  but if still in doubt then audition one.

8 hours ago, Dave R said:

... but if still in doubt then audition one.

I would if I could, but I live a long way from civilization, so that isn't practical.

I am trying to get some feedback on the more extreme claims that are being made for the Yggy - that it beats best of breed DACs around the 8K to 10K range - like the Meitner MA-1 / MSB Analog / Bricasti M1 / BADA2 etc. Lots of folks say that the Yggy is great, and I don't doubt it is very good for the money, but does it really compete with (or beat) the heavy hitters @ 3 or 4 times the price?

Not a lot of A/B comparisons out there against these uber DACs from folks that aren't part of the HF/SBAF hype train.

I did find one comparing the MSB Analog vs Yggy in some detail. The reviewer's conclusion is that the Yggy is excellent for the price, but does not dethrone the MSB Analog.

6 minutes ago, DonkeyBalls said:

I would if I could, but I live a long way from civilization, so that isn't practical.

I am trying to get some feedback on the more extreme claims that are being made for the Yggy - that it beats best of breed DACs around the 8K to 10K range - like the Meitner MA-1 / MSB Analog / Bricasti M1 / BADA2 etc. Lots of folks say that the Yggy is great, and I don't doubt it is very good for the money, but does it really compete with (or beat) the heavy hitters @ 3 or 4 times the price?

Not a lot of A/B comparisons out there against these uber DACs from folks that aren't part of the HF/SBAF hype train.

I did find one comparing the MSB Analog vs Yggy in some detail. The reviewer's conclusion is that the Yggy is excellent for the price, but does not dethrone the MSB Analog.

Check this HF thread out. IMO this Torq guy is doing an exceptional job with his comparative reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804153/life-after-yggdrasil

• Like 3