Schiit Yggdrasil

postjack

I ordered the Gumby upgrade and am in the queue now. Since Gen 5 USB now comes standard on all non-entry-level Schiit DACs, not having the upgrade will destroy my unit's resale value (by more than $150, I suspect).

Other than that, I, too, am exceedingly skeptical of the supposed evils of USB. Unfortunately, the details of the technical debate that I saw are way over my head. I just don't understand the nuances of digital electronics well enough to judge.

@TMoney, what DAC do you use in your main (non-office?) rig these days? Or did you switch to vinyl and tape?

6 minutes ago, gepardcv said:

@TMoney, what DAC do you use in your main (non-office?) rig these days? Or did you switch to vinyl and tape?

I am back to using the Oppo 105 as my do-everything workhorse.

I really didn't hear that much of a difference between the Oppo and the Yggy and the Oppo just does so much more feature-wise.

90% of my listening these days is Tidal streaming and I can do it right on the Oppo and control it from Oppo's mobile/tablet apps.

Is the sound quality as good as Vinyl or DSD rips? No. But I end up listening to so much music I'd never otherwise buy so I can't see myself doing anything but streaming going forward.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, gepardcv said:

Other than that, I, too, am exceedingly skeptical of the supposed evils of USB. Unfortunately, the details of the technical debate that I saw are way over my head. I just don't understand the nuances of digital electronics well enough to judge.

I had connectivity and reliability problems with the Schiit Gen 3 USB input and my iMac. So did the person who I sold it to. I don't want to speculate as to why, but it makes sense to me that some of the differences highlighted with in the Gen 5 USB PR could be a factor.

I've got an Eitr on the way to try out with my Yggy. Figured if I don't like it, I can return it in 15 days. If I do like it, maybe sell it (or keep it for another system) and go for the Gen 5 USB upgrade for my Yggy. 

I really don't like using Gen 3 USB input to the Yggy. Tried too many cables, Mutek AES, Regen, MicroRendu w/ LPS1, W4S Remedy..... finally settling on a denuded Apple AirPort Express via WiFi and SPDIF toslink as sounding the best of the bunch. Even with the Buy Better Gear light on. I think it's the Gen 3 USB implementation in the Yggy that is subpar. Hoping Mike Moffat got it right this time with the Eitr and Gen 5. Got a lot respect for him and his digital experience gained over the years. Jason Stoddard and his analog "skills" not so much. I really do not like the Schiit amps. Just like I never liked SUMO amps. 

Can't wait for the inevitable mod threads on the Eitr....  gotta know where to place those Quantum Dots. :D 

Edited by Laowei

Recieved my Eitr today and put it in my system: Mac Mini/Audirvana > Monoprice USB > Eitr > BJC Belden SPDIF coax > Yggy > DIY balanced solid Silver/Gold alloy ICs > KGST. Previously using Mac Mini/Audirvana >WiFi > Airport Express > Lifatek glass Toslink > Yggy > DIY balanced solid Silver/Gold alloy ICs > KGST

First impressions, lots of detail, a little fatiguing, accentuating the sharpness of the SR-009, and a loss in low frequency weight and dynamics. The AE had more natural sounding high frequencies, and overall sounded more liquid, dynamic and "analog", with a slight loss in resolution -listenable for hours. Swapped out the BJC Belden SPDIF cable for a Monocable analog RCA one, and the drop off in the  lower range was worse. But the mids were a bit obscured to where they were not as fatiguing. 

In my system, seems that the Eitr has the possibility of cleaning up the USB feed, but might be hindered by SPDIF coax cable quality. I'll play the Eitr 24-7 for a few days and swap some more cables. But I suspect the best sound with a Yggy will be with an internal Gen 5, and no SPDIF connection to worry about. 

• Like 2

Next day follow up after an 18 hour run in. 

The Eitr has relaxed and the fatiguing edge is gone. Bass has fleshed out and the highs are natural. The clarity and tonality is startling. On quick A-B USB-Toslink input selection comparisons between the Eitr and the AE, the AE now sounds more processed (Velveeta like) and the Eitr has just a more natural "there" there. 

Not an absolute repeatable endorsement of what others may hear, but only my thoughts relative to the cheap shit alternatives I've tried. I'll be buying the Gen 5 to install in my Yggy when available. Keeping the Eitr to use wth my iPhone at work to stream uncompressed Tidal to my system there. 

• Like 2

Well, that happened quickly. The Eitr took a Schiit on me. 

Got it a week ago, and kept it powered on while passing a signal to my Yggy. Occasionally there would be a dropout when the refrigerator or other appliances were powered, even though those were on separate electrical circuits. Puzzling, but WTF it was not happening too often. Got up this morning, and my Yggy was clanking the input relays about every 20 seconds. The Eitr was constantly dropping out, and sometimes resenting 48Khz data, sometimes 44.1Khz as indicated by Yggy LEDs. Troubleshot by powering down all, and individually, rebooting, replacing USB and coax cable, and selecting different USB ports on my Mac mini. Then reinserted my Airport Express as the Toslink source to my Yggy, and its runs without a hiccup. 

When working, the Eitr/Schiit USB circuit is very good. 

Got an email into Schiit. Would like to return the Eitr for a refund and will later buy the Gen 5 to self install. 

59 minutes ago, dsavitsk said:

Sounds like they are expecting your power to be 120V, and that it runs lower. Even a surge on a different circuit could lower house power overall. Our power runs at 123V in the winter, and around 110V in the summer (108 when the dryer is on). Pick up one of these to watch it over time.

51IQ2K+SRGL._SL1001_.jpg

Good tip! Thanks. 

It's been hot here lately. So a heavy draw on the grid. Forecast for 110F Thursday. 

I'll monitor for a while with a Fluke. 

9 hours ago, spritzer said:

That is the likely culprit, same as with the Cavalli stuff.  No headroom in the PSU's. 

FYI some jargon from Schiits webpage...

Linear, Low-Noise Power Supply—Built In
You won't need any "linear supplies" or other "add-ons" to improve Eitr—like all of our stackable products, we've built in a linear supply with multiple stages of ultra-low-noise voltage regulators. From the included 1.5A, 6VAC wall-wart to the output, there are no switching supplies in Eitr.

:)