Schiit Yggdrasil

postjack

I could see where filter/anti-aliasing caps could make subtle differences in sound. I can also see where Vishay can fuck up a wet dream as well... talk about a clusterfuck of a company, buying up all sorts of formerly great companies and raping/pillaging them :)

Not a big wire believer, so the copper->silver/gold thing is kind of nebulous to me.

3 hours ago, johnwmclean said:

Thanks Laowei, being the Yggdrasil is direct DC coupled from chip to output your findings are interesting. I’m not denying the existence of the difference you hear, just the theory to substantiate it. Many thanks for the offer :).

Yes, the output is direct coupled, but is filtered. The filter effects the output signal. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Did the gen 5 upgrade to my Gumby this morning. It took about 30 minutes, start-to-finish.

I'll leave it to others to describe any change in sonics, but I figure it can't hurt the eventual re-sale value.

EDIT: If anyone wants the prior gen USB board to play around with, PM me and its yours for the price of shipping.

IMG_0010.thumb.jpg.78d7280bc1133e3075af861fc3cfd0a9.jpg

IMG_0012.thumb.jpg.28e6d748d34d2dfc17c3ac5de76a2f25.jpg

59d2844a9c715_ScreenShot2017-10-02at11_15_05AM.png.ec0664ac4f735a66baecb5f8385593da.png

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, purk said:

Just ordered my new USB board last night.  I hope it will get rid of a somewhat annoying brightness that I do get sometime on USB 3.0 board.  Damn it I sure wish that the Yggy can do DSD natively.

The Gen 5 USB does a lot better job than the stock Yggy Gen 3. For $100, I think you will be suprised and happy with the SQ after swapping them out. 

Do you have a lot of DSD content stored? Have you tried converting to hi-res PCM on the fly from your computer? 

The same class. Maybe better, I do not used GEN3 for a long time. Do not  expect dramarical improvement from this upgrade! GEN5 sounds more flat, more muddy, less musical and natural as less dynamic and detailed as Hydra Z. I have electrostatic tract (Flux Lab KGBH SE + Perun Headphones (Much better than all Stax includes 007, 009, SR-Omega!) so difference is very notable.

Not in my experience. I hear a clear improvement between the Gen 5 and Gen 3 in my Yggy. Lots of others have reported the same.. 

The Eitr I first bought to try out crapped out on me, and I returned it. Their QC sucks. 

Have you contacted Schiit and complained? You may have gotten a sour unit too.

Edited by Laowei
  • Like 1