Schiit Yggdrasil

postjack

38 minutes ago, nopants said:

pretty expensive update, but I guess their output boards are pretty busy

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, they mounted the DAC chips on the analog board.:blink:

The Analog Devices AD5791 run $85 each in quantities, and the Yggy takes 4 for the 2 channels. Don’t know if they recycle them for the new boards. Or what that will do for product reliability if they do. Can’t see them just tossing all that expensive silicon in the garbage.

4 minutes ago, nopants said:

can it only be installed by them then? I still have a new usb input that I haven't gotten around to installing

Replacing the USB is pretty straight forward. Only removing/assembling the Yggy case with its plethora of screws can take some time.

Gotta send in your Yggy for the Analog 2 upgrade. It’s more than just the replacing output PCBs. They also update the DSP firmware to deglitch the original Megaburrito digital filter, and add/replace/rework parts to upgrade to the current production configuration. They have learned some things to make it sound better in the 3+ years it’s been out.

Sent mine in yesterday. We’ll see how it turns out. 

• Like 2

Darn.  I thought I was set for awhile after the USB 5 Gen upgrade.  Not interested in $550 right now...give that the shipping alone is nearly $100 from GA to CA.  How about a DSD upgrade if that is even possible?  I just have a lot of DSD materials.

Edited by purk

14 minutes ago, purk said:

Darn.  I thought I was set for awhile after the USB 5 Gen upgrade.  Not interested in $550 right now...give that the shipping alone is nearly $100 from GA to CA.  How about a DSD upgrade if that is even possible?  I just have a lot of DSD materials.

Believe me, I feel your pain with Schiit :dinny:

I don’t think native DSD is possible on an pure R2R DAC like the Yggy. Might be possible if the DSP digital filter could be used to convert to PCM. 

Edited by Laowei

On 1/17/2018 at 10:51 AM, Laowei said:

Replacing the USB is pretty straight forward. Only removing/assembling the Yggy case with its plethora of screws can take some time.

Gotta send in your Yggy for the Analog 2 upgrade. It’s more than just the replacing output PCBs. They also update the DSP firmware to deglitch the original Megaburrito digital filter, and add/replace/rework parts to upgrade to the current production configuration. They have learned some things to make it sound better in the 3+ years it’s been out.

Sent mine in yesterday. We’ll see how it turns out. 

I look forward to seeing what you think of the upgrade, L.  Also, turnaround time. 

Please keep us posted.

HS

• Like 1

My yggy was in for a Gen V upgrade when the analog upgrade got announced so I decided to get it done.  I was thinking of selling after the Gen V upgrade since I'm happy with the Holo lvl 3 (and SFD I MKII).  Get it back tomorrow so we'll see how it sounds...maybe I'll keep all three DACs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I went back and forth with which to get between the yggy and the spring dac. Ultimately the upgrade-ability got me to go with the yggy. I have been frustrated at times when I wanted a high res album but because the rights were Sony.. So DSD  only.

But with this analog upgrade and usb gen 5, for me having to stick with CD quality in those cases is less of an issue. Because upgrade-itis means if holo released a new dac next year I would be attempting to sell my current and purchase the new one. 

Wish I could have multiples of equipment, but I have too many hobbies requiring significant investment.

Also I'm lazy fwiw.

• 2 weeks later...

Receive my upgraded Yggy this afternoon. 

Opened the box up, and on top, the work invoice noted in big black writing: Left cover dented with scratches. Pulled the Yggy out of its plastic bag and sure enough, the front corner was whacked. I did not send it in that way. So, I pulled the cover to see if Schitt actually upgraded to the Analog v2 boards -they had. But I noticed that some internal scratches I had put in the original cover when I first opened up years ago were gone (used a putty knife to pry the ribbon cable connector and galled an inner edge on the soft aluminum cover). That was not on this cover. Seems they swapped covers with another person’s Yggy and then tried to cover their ass on the work invoice.

So, wrote Schitt, got a new RMA and it ships back tomorrow for “repair”.

Fucking ham fisted wankers...  

• Confused 1

They bumped me to a new “B” serial  number label on the back of the case, and attached the original S/N label on the work invoice. The back case had some scratches that I had put there so I knew that was original. When I was inside looking for the upgraded boards, I also saw where I had done some mods and had removed before sending back in. So the main body of the Yggy was my original. Just not the cover. 

I have a high regard for Mike Moffat’s designs, having owned a few over the years including one of his custom Citation IIs in the early 1990s. I figure he is pretty much well away from the day to day business operations at Schiit these days. His experience with digital with Theta is the only reason I bought into Schitt. Listening to the upgrade as I type, I feel it was worthwhile. The dinged up case and runaround, not so much . 

Since this Analog 2 upgrade clears up a lot of measured issues that came up from the Stereophile article, maybe  Schitt should have named it “The John Atkinson Signature Upgrade”. :lol:

Edited by Laowei
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/21/2018 at 3:59 PM, HemiSam said:

I look forward to seeing what you think of the upgrade, L.  Also, turnaround time. 

Please keep us posted.

HS

The turnaround for the upgrade took 16 days. 

As for the upgrade, from what I gather from other sites will take ~3 weeks powered up to fully settle in. Just like a fresh new Yggy. From first listen on my just turned on upgraded Yggy, I liked what I heard: Massive increase in plankton and the grey background now has a more teal tone to it.  <:lol:

Actually most  things just sound “more right” now, and less synthetic or slightly irritating (from memory). For me a good sign. As a visual analogy, it’s like comparing a good flatscreen with factory presets and now after having it calibrated. Same TV but more dialed in. Subjectively moar better, I’m not going to try and qualify it further. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/30/2017 at 8:41 PM, spritzer said:

The Schiit quality strikes again!! 

I have come to this realization after returning my yggy fitst time for DOA, and then another 3X for repair, and 1more time for Gen5 upgade.

Also, there is an issue with older PSU motherboard which made my Gen5 upgrade sound dull.

Gen5 is better but still not reach level of any other input choice, so a waste of time and money if you already have another USB solution (SU-1).

Also, it is true that the yggy's unsecured larger transformers will come loose & detach from PSU motherboard, depending on age and if shipped.

The only saving grace is the warranty.

I have since moved onto a Holo Spring Dac which gives me slightly more involvement and detailing over yggy.

Also,

I recently been comparing my Holo Spring (LvL1) to my friend's yggy (A-board) to determine  my decision to keep the Holo Spring.

The lesser price tag is just a bonus.

Yggy is still a top Dac, just need to keep it cool and treat it like a baby,

but I am sure others besides Holo will close the gap.

The only issue I've had with mine since I bought it (and it was this way when it arrived years ago...purchased shortly after they began selling them) is that one of the analog connectors came loose (screw stripped the cheap plastic inside the case where the connector is mounted) so I have to be gentle if I need to connect/disconnect that one connection to one of my amp's.  Zero issues otherwise.

Sounds pretty darn good to me and clearly a step up from what I had previously.  I have never utilized the USB input and do not plan to.

I do not doubt there are other very good DAC options out there that are competitive.  I see little value in upgrading from the Ygg though.

HS