HC NBA Ballers

TMoney

On 7/7/2016 at 2:42 PM, VPI said:

...it would appear this team will require massive effort on defense from competitors not to just get steamrolled.  I guess everything has to play out on the court, but I do not remember a team with such a spread of weapons in their prime, in any sport.

The great thing about this team is that even when Curry, Thompson, KD and Green are not all on the floor at the same time, they will still be extremely difficult to defend. So ya, hard not to get steamrolled. But the other good thing about KD's presence is it will allow for freer substitutions, which then also gives the guys on the court their moments to shine or take over. You see that already with Curry/Thompson. The minute one is resting, the other lights it up. Even without the need to feed the egos of individuals, it's always nice to "get yours" at some point during a game. If Kerr manages the rotations properly, they should just roll over pretty much everyone.

I don't "remember" either, but the '27 Yankees comes to mind in terms of the spread of weapons, offensive, defensive, pitching, everything, and by all accounts they weren't unexciting! They drew sellout and SRO crowds everywhere they went. So I don't see this as bad for the sport necessarily.

• Like 1

Saw some really great things tonight in the Lakers Pels game. Looks like they learned more in one week with Luke Walton than all of last year with Byron Scott. D'angelo, Larry Nance, Ingram, and Zubac looking beastly. Will be interesting to see them measure up against the Timberwolves in even a year or two.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The New York Times ran a very nice profile on Steve Kerr, the coach of the Golden State Warriors, today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/22/sports/basketball/steve-kerr-golden-state-warriors.html

If you don't know about Steve's unique background I absolutely recommend giving it a read. Steve is a very worldly, very intelligent guy and after reading the piece you'll know why.

• Like 2

Great guy. I remember when his Dad was killed while Steve was a college player. Solid player for Cleveland. And then for Da Bulls.

Actually met him while waiting in line to get in to Walker Brothers pancake house in Chicago shortly after he left Cleveland to join Chicago. I turned around, and there he was, right next to me. I said 'hi', shook his hand. Told him we'd miss him in Cleveland, wished him luck with the Bulls. Chatted for a bit. Really nice, regular guy.

My brother's story is that his daughter is the same age as his, and played in a traveling volleyball league that played against his daughter's team . So they're all in Florida together, hanging out at some bar, and they see Steve Kerr. One Dad in my brother's group is a former American Gladiator, is still huge, looks like a kick sand in your face and then kick your ass kind of guy, but is actually a really nice guy. Just looks like he'll kill you for the sport of it. Kerr sees him across the bar. He tells his friend 'damn, look at that guy. I wouldn't want to meet up with HIM in a dark alley!' Kerr's friend happens to know a guy in my brother's group so tells him what he said and how funny it'd be to set Steve up for a scare. American Gladiator guy says sure, it'll be fun. Walks over to Steve Kerr, 'accidentally' bumps into him, spills his drink. Says 'hey, what are you doing, you want a piece of me tough guy? Let's step outside and settle this.' Kerr's face fills with terror. 'No, man! I don't want any trouble! Let me buy you a drink!' Kerr is a little guy. Very peaceful, avoids fights. American Gladiator guy stares him down for a few seconds, the bar gets really quiet. Kerr looks like he's having a panic attack. American Gladiator guy laughs, 'nah, I'm just fuckin' with you. Your buddy over there set you up!' The whole group is cracking up, they buy Steve a drink. All good. He's a great sport.

• Like 2

It's been fun watching them become the "supervillains" of the league, but all the blowing a 3-1 lead jokes are getting a bit old and now there's more fuel added to the fire from yesterday's game, blowing a 14 pt lead with another Kyrie game winner yesterday. Since the Lakers have been injured for the past month and completely destroyed any playoff chances, I just want to fast forward to the Warriors Cavs finals rematch. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So many people are balling out their minds this season! Harden and Westbrook of course, Curry is now back to last year's MVP form, Isaiah Thomas, KD, Giannis, Embiid would have even bigger numbers without a minutes restriction and he's technically a rookie. Since the Lakers are still a dumpster fire, I need a team to temporarily bandwagon. :P 

• Like 1

The dark horse that I think realistically has a chance to win it is Houston. They have the firepower to play with anyone when they are rolling, including GSW.

In the east I like what is going on with the Wizards, but I just don't see how anyone gets by Cleveland in a 7 game series if the King is healthy.

• Like 1

Agreed, when the Rockets are in the zone then they have almost unstoppable firepower. Don't know how the 3 point barrage and average defense will work in the playoffs, though. You know what they say: live by the 3, die by the 3. The Wiz are my hometown team so I guess I should root for them. I wasn't a fan of Scott Brooks when he was with OKC, but he seems to be doing well now so that might be the most pragmatic choice for me. :P They're beating up on the Lakers right now...

The Cavs lost 7 of 8 games in January and the King wants a playmaker so it'll be interesting to see who they pick up. Definitely seems like another Warriors-Cavs finals this year, and the Cavs need all the help they can get against the Dubs with KD.