Head Case Motorsports

VPI

I've ranted about this before, but I think the scandal will go well past VW. Cheating on these sorts of tests is pretty common, and manufacturers sending tuned cars to the press so they perform better, or cars with non-stock tires so they grip better, is hardly unusual these days (or has hardly been unusual ever). EPA themselves are responsible for this in part, since their tests aren't very representative of real-world use either. At the end of this, EPA testing methodology will have to change,  and manufacturers will either have to be more honest in designing cars to meet regulations (unlikely), lobby for less restrictive regulations, be more devious about circumventing them, or just play the dinosaur strategy and wait until the whole bloody thing blows over. Either way, the surprise here is not as much about VW being lying cheats but more about fairly commonplace manufacturer dishonesty finally coming into light. All IMO of course.

Remember the time when all high-performance Japanese cars had exactly 276 horsepower? Yeah...

Edited by catscratch

Anyone who buys a diesel Porsche deserves to get fucked over.

emoji6.png

The gist I got from the story is that the problems run to cars not equipped with Diesel engines. The auto industry self reports a lot of this stuff and I am thinking VW might have been presenting false numbers on a lot of cars to get maximum performance. 

Maybe that's why the Mazda 2.2 'SkyActiv' diesel is still not available in the US.

It is quite an engine, the best diesel that I've driven. Very smooth (ok it could be even quieter but it is not unpleasant), almost no turbo lag and amazing torque, way better than the equivalent petrol (does not hurt that the Mazda6 is also one of the lightest in its class). Hopefully it is reliable as well. It is already three years old I wonder how they can impove it further but with the emission rules it might not be that easy.

LOL...I guess I do.  It's been fun.  I went from my daily driver being a 2010 Dodge RAM crew cab to the Jeep and the technology is pretty wild relatively speaking.  Been a lot of fun.  The 8-speed with paddles mated to the 6.4L is good fun on the highway.  The launch control...well, that's just good sport but completely unnecessary.  4.4 0-60mph in a pig on all season radials is pure comedy.

HS

IMG_5623.JPG

• Like 2

After the drive home I can say that the XT is finally where it should be as the sportier version go the Forester.  Swift Springs ride smoother on regular road than the stock springs and the dual stage springs really kick in on the curves.  Did the corkscrew exit twice on the way home.  Once the tires are replaced with something non-awful this thing will be a really fun drive that can also haul all my stuff.

• Like 2