Head Case Motorsports

VPI

Got up early to go for some spirited driving.

I took the Panoramic Highway out to Stinson Beach, grabbed a cup of coffee at the cafe, then took Highway 1 back to Tam Junction.

I had the road to myself the entire time. Fucking brilliant! The Panoramic Highway stretch is just excellent driving.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1330/California/The-Panoramic-Highway.html

• Like 1

On 11/8/2015, 3:43:47, Grahame said:

I've often wondered I about the (top trumps?) obsession with raw horsepower, when power / weight ratio is a better performance metric given that we are talking about cars, not power stations .

Because math(s) is hard? Or better yet given F = MA , thrust per unit mass?

So I had this typed up a couple weeks ago but then lost it when browser crashed or maybe I accidentally hit back. I came back today to this thread and accidentally hit something in the reply box and this popped up, so...

I once argued with a TVA engineer who was talking about HP at the crank vs the wheel. He swore you subtracted 17% to go from crank to wheel, and then added 17% to go from wheel to crank. I tried to explain that it would be more like 20% to go from wheel HP to crank, but he went off saying that that was ridiculous. I tried to explain reciprocals to someone with a degree in engineering by using 4/5ths and 5/4ths, but yeah, he couldn't grasp that concept. I meant to find out which "engineering school" he went to, to make sure I can try to avoid others graduates.

It's painful talking to a lot of car guys, but I know some who do it right.

**BRENT**

27 minutes ago, naamanf said:

I actually think he was talking about the math. Using the same percentage for gain and loss doesn't work. If you know the loss ratio from engine to wheel you need to use the reciprocal from wheel to engine.

Then again do we ever know what he is talking about?

Just took you a few hours to get it; not bad for someone so follically challenged.

**BRENT**

16 minutes ago, VPI said:

No, he has never had a good biscuit, significant work has taken place to ensure that.  He knows nothing of a good biscuit, he gets his from fast food chicken places in the ghetto.

You have obviously never had fast food chicken from the Mr. Zip on Orchard Knob in the Ghetto.

Actually, if you are ever forced to come back to Chatt, do it near a weekend and I'll take you to Lamar's. The way I describe this place is "It's where Billy Dee Williams would eat fried chicken at 1 o'clock in the morning."

The do not serve biscuits.

**BRENT**

This is probably a little different to the cars that most here are interested in, but someone did ask for pics so I thought I'd add it because it's a cool shot.

Tuning this is my day job. It runs in Top Alcohol Funny Car in Australia. Has run a best elapsed time of 5.410 @ 267 mph:

tn_launch1.JPG

• Like 9

Thanks VPI and HemiSam. I've been running these things for 30 odd years now, as has the driver of the car.

It's our aim to ship the car to the US and run there for a while before we retire :) The big league and the rules are a little different, so a new challenge for us.

We're doing a pass against Daniel Ricciardo in his F1 in 3 weeks.. something a bit different. There's a video about it here: Perth Speed Fest