Head Case Motorsports

VPI

35 minutes ago, Dreadhead said:

http://m.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-volvo-v60-t6-awd-r-design-page-2

"Verdict:

Only a sports wagon in that it’s good for taking the kids to their sports."

Lets be honest here... that is all that will be done with this :)

It doesn't feel like a sports wagon because it is soft to drive.

32 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

Thanks, Dreadhead.  My apologies for making the leap across the pond...

At that price point and AWD I like the Evo in the same size bracket.  The Sti is interesting if one doesn't find the wing offensive....although the WRX is no slouch.

Interestingly, I can beat up on quite a few fast RWD vehicles on a road course with my Jeep SRT given the AWD (of course the huge Brembos, beefed up suspension and 6.4L with 8-speed and paddles don't hurt) despite the 5,150lb curb weight.  The vehicle is a pig, but there's a lot of joy taunting a Mustang...  AWD FTW.

HS

Power + AWD/FWD is a blast.

I sold it a few years back now, but I had a stroked and supercharged 5.9 ZJ with Selectrac... was fantastic. Then kids happened.

Also had a lifted 5.9 ZJ ... long-arms, 35s, blah blah blah.  Good times, then kids.

• Like 1

Not from me. What I regret is not trading in the fucking Mazda5 minivan and keeping my Legacy GT. Anyway that decision is made.

We paid off all the kid's college funds so it's now time to enjoy the extra money for something a little wasteful. I have always wanted a full on rally car and the Focus is as close as it gets stock. Fucking markup. I may just suck it up at this point but I may ask the dealer to at least buy me dinner before he.....

• Like 1

I have to be honest, Chris, I can't imagine being as tall as you and putting kids in the backseat of a Golf/GTI platform car.  My GTI is already starting to feel too small.  Basically, when I comfortable in the front seat I'm constantly getting kicked in the back by the 4yr old.  And there's not much room for stuff either.  And no way you're getting 3 kids seats in the back of a Golf either.  I've got two in mine and there's maybe a 10" gap between the seats.  Given that one of yours will be an infant seat the situation would be even worse.

Don't get me wrong, the GTI is fun to drive.  But lately it's been aggravating an old hip injury - the side bolster pushes on a painful spot on my left leg - and I'm giving serious thought to replacing it.  It's also (even with full warranty coverage) cost me more to maintain in 18 months than the Camry did in 6 years.  

A good friend has a Focus ST and loves it, also has two kids and it's just bigger enough from what I can see so maybe the RS would be the perfect family hoon mobile.  

• Like 3

What I learned on the MOPAR and the Chevy fronts (sorry but I can't speak to the Ford side) is there are a handful of high quality volume dealers that will not screw you if you deal with them.  They will stick to retail but sometimes you have to go out of state.  They tend to have reputations with the serious gear heads.  I bought the jeep in Missouri although I live in TX for this very reason.  He had it built for me exactly as I wanted at invoice and split the dealer take with me.  Picked me up at the airport and then bought me a sandwich.  Good stuff.

The Hellcat stuff got real stupid, but there were a few dealers worth their salt.

Best of luck on the Focus RS.  Great looking car...I like hot hatchbacks and might would own one if I were in college again.  Drove a '78 280Z witha 5-speed back then.

HS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreadhead said:

Not from me. What I regret is not trading in the fucking Mazda5 minivan and keeping my Legacy GT. Anyway that decision is made.

We paid off all the kid's college funds so it's now time to enjoy the extra money for something a little wasteful. I have always wanted a full on rally car and the Focus is as close as it gets stock. Fucking markup. I may just suck it up at this point but I may ask the dealer to at least buy me dinner before he.....

You know, if you liked/loved the Legacy GT I friggin' love my WRX. It is also quite a big bigger inside than the Focus. Just sayin' :cool:

With a little modding the WRX could be a track/rally monster. You might not beat that many cars in a drag race but you sure will have fun every time behind the wheel.

The WRX is definitely more utilitarian than it is luxurious which tends to turn a lot of people off, but a loaded WRX turned out to be the perfect car for me in my price range.

If I wasn't saving for a house down-payment I'd have put some money into my car. I'd tighten up the suspension, reduce the body roll and get better brakes all before I'd even consider adding more HP.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 2

I hear you can do a bit with a Forester XT if you lower it, get wheels, exhaust, replace the steering rack with the WRX or STI one, etc. I saw some pictures of a white one once that was pretty sweet, but I think the owner forgot he had it and it's just sitting in a garage somewhere.

**BRENT**

Finders keepers?

• Like 1

At least at 2015 autocross nationals the GTI got its ass handed to it by ST in their class. Also it beat the GTI in the 2014 Car and Driver hot lap.

I have time as the RS will not be landing for months anyway and as you say I should go take a look but frankly the GTI/R just really doesn't do much for me styling wise. I will probably take a look anyway.

• Like 1

I am giving serious thought to the ST as it is more than enough to put a smile on my face and is probably going to be about half the price of the RS. That said the RS is the kind of car you remember when you're 80....

In a related note I hate auto dealers. They suck. They gave me a "best price" price more than $2k over their posted website price for that ST. I may still end up going there (not at that price) because they have a bunch of them in stock. I knew I would have to do some research and I had planned on finding some discrepancies but that was truly disappointing.

Salesmen at dealerships by and far do suck.  I only deal with their "internet managers".  No BS.  The price is the price.  Some folks used to refer to them as their "fleet managers".  Alternatively, you seek out bids via a site like Edmonds (used to be easier to use)...and I never give them my phone number.  Simply bids via email.  

HS

I have pretty much made up my mind that I am going to suck it up and go with the RS if I can still modify orders as of tomorrow and they still have the car. I will be one of the idiots that overpaid. Oh well.

Tried to go to the local VW dealer to drive a R but they had sold it yesterday and were not even interested in my business (didn't even offer to order one or try to sell me a GTI) so I just left.

• Like 1

I was supposed to be on leave today so I decided to take 3 hours off in the middle of the day and go and drive a STI and Golf R. The STI went first and was awesome, very fast steering though the manual is a bit stiff compared to the focus ST and the ride seemed pretty good to me (feels like you're in a racecar). I did not get to push the car on the drive in any real sense (literally stuck behind a 70 year old in a Prius). Rear leg room was great and I could even sit behind myself.

The Golf R DSG/DCC (I drove a CPO 2016 fully loaded car from VW Corporate down the road) was very refined but for me after the STI seemed boring. Didn't help that my salesman was 60 or so and didn't know a "driving road" from a corporate park with stop signs and lights everywhere.

• Like 1