Head Case Motorsports

VPI

38 minutes ago, Dreadhead said:

I was supposed to be on leave today so I decided to take 3 hours off in the middle of the day and go and drive a STI and Golf R. The STI went first and was awesome, very fast steering though the manual is a bit stiff compared to the focus ST and the ride seemed pretty good to me (feels like you're in a racecar). I did not get to push the car on the drive in any real sense (literally stuck behind a 70 year old in a Prius). Rear leg room was great and I could even sit behind myself.

The Golf R DSG/DCC (I drove a CPO 2016 fully loaded car from VW Corporate down the road) was very refined but for me after the STI seemed boring. Didn't help that my salesman was 60 or so and didn't know a "driving road" from a corporate park with stop signs and lights everywhere.

If you like the STI definitely try the base WRX too. The steering and suspension might be a bit weaker but the base WRX arguably has the better engine. The torque curve is huge and flat and comes on at about 2.5k vs 3.5k on the STI. I friggin love the WRX engine.

Also, I don't know if you get a chance to do this on the test drive, but my favorite thing to do is to time my boost to come on right at the apex and let that AWD claw me out.

Also: 

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 2

Coming from a guy that modifies his vehicles, the one thing I've learned is it is  worth going with the higher end model than going with the lesser version (especially if brake and suspension upgrades and power and related technology are meaningful vs some sort of glamor package).  This is in the context of someone that's looking to put the goodies to work.  You end up nickel and diming yourself well past what you would have paid and often can void a warranty doing it otherwise.  Further, the OEM upgrades have more engineering to them than what is done aftermarket more often than not.  

That's been my experience...

HS

• Like 1

I think the massive turbo lag of the Golf R is what makes it boring. I would probably still get it over the RS and STi due to boy racer douchebags, cheap ass interior on the Ford and Subaru, not that the Golf is fantastic, and those stupid fucking wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An aftermarket tune (aka calibration) can help with lag (i.e. fuel and timing curves that get the snail(s) spooling more quickly).  Some brands are a bear to tune and some less so, but the aftermarket is generally pretty crafty.  Voiding the warranty can be an issue so often folks will return the tunes to normal prior to returning to the dealership for maintenance and warranty work and often to pass emissions testing.

HS

That's a shame, but I've heard of instances like that (can't say I've heard much about VW's).  I believe I heard Audi can be the same, although there is an OEM supported aftermarket tuner.

The programming on modern MOPAR's (Chrysler vehicles) became quite challenged since Daimler purchased and later sold Chrysler.  Tuning on Fords and Chevy's is open platform for all practical purposes.  You need a $10K piece of software and some serious knowhow to program the modern MOPAR's these days.

HS

I didn't play with any modes on the Golf so maybe there were more fun ones and it was a DCC car so I guess I could/should have set that to sport. That said I didn't enjoy it and this purchase is about that.

The STI Limited interior was at least as nice as the golf in my opinion. Which either means it's pretty nice or I don't give a shit about interiors.

The point about boy racers is perfectly valid but again I can't give a fuck at this stage as I want the car that 16 year old me wanted, hence the boy racers....

• Like 3

Actually looking at the results it looks like at least if I'm going for a newer car that the Focus ST is more competitive than the WRX (or STI) in their respective classes. Maybe just spending under $30K and flogging the crap out of the car will be enough to put a smile on my face. Probably actually it's enough.

23 minutes ago, n_maher said:

What are they asking for the RS?  Ford says it's in the mid to upper 30's (at least in my neck of the woods) and for that type of difference (~20%) I'd just get what you really want.  

With the options I wanted it's like $42K for the RS and they want another $5k markup (if I can even find one to buy) I got a quote from one dealer excluding tax and tags (but including fees) for $48.5K. Compared to the Limited STI it's still well within the boundaries of 20% but it also has less back seat room than the STI which is  concern area (well not really as the kids are still small and will be for some time). Also I probably wouldn't see the car until September or later.

The ST is well south of 30K even after taxes (Regardless of what that dick told me):

http://www.koonsfallschurchford.com/new-inventory/details.htm?vehicleId=62f509e30a0e0adf484d5bd1403827a2&locale=en_US

Edited by Dreadhead

16 minutes ago, Dreadhead said:

Actually looking at the results it looks like at least if I'm going for a newer car that the Focus ST is more competitive than the WRX (or STI) in their respective classes. Maybe just spending under $30K and flogging the crap out of the car will be enough to put a smile on my face. Probably actually it's enough.

It's ridiculous how often I have to say this around here:

Quit being poor.

**BRENT**

• Like 2

At that dealer this'd be my choice - http://www.koonsfallschurchford.com/new/Ford/2016-Ford-Focus+ST-Washington-DC-d2f73e530a0e0a1704ec476af36facdc.htm

And yes, for $20k that'd certainly be enough to put mind at ease vs. the RS.  Shame that they're bending you over for the additional $5k but it'll probably be a year at least before they adjust production and the prices come down.  Or they'll be content with the #'s they're seeing and the prices won't move much.

56 minutes ago, Dreadhead said:

With the options I wanted it's like $42K for the RS and they want another $5k markup (if I can even find one to buy) I got a quote from one dealer excluding tax and tags (but including fees) for $48.5K. Compared to the Limited STI it's still well within the boundaries of 20% but it also has less back seat room than the STI which is  concern area (well not really as the kids are still small and will be for some time). Also I probably wouldn't see the car until September or later.

The ST is well south of 30K even after taxes (Regardless of what that dick told me):

http://www.koonsfallschurchford.com/new-inventory/details.htm?vehicleId=62f509e30a0e0adf484d5bd1403827a2&locale=en_US

Buying new, in demand cars sucks. The dealers don't offer shit in the way of deals and the wait blows. I had to wait 2-3 months for mine to come over from Japan.

I think I've come up with a good solution for the short term: Put down refundable deposit on RS and go drive ST, STI again at my leisure and make up my mind over the next couple weeks. No real harm on that path and I will have an assured RS spot if I decide it's worth being crazy.

• Like 3

Shiiiit! I didn't realize the RS had 350HP. I thought it was 300. Dude, RS all the way.

Man... you are going to blow poor Jeff off the road. Only logical upgrade for him is an R8. [emoji14]

0-60 for the RS is quite a bit slower than the S4. 4.7 0-60 for such a tiny car is crazy.

cd9cf7_561ac6f555cf495b91bb00b0c9c609be.jpg

On order. White, black interior, summer (non track) tires and winter tire package

Really like that color combo on that car. What size wheels do those things come with?

• Like 2