Head Case Motorsports

VPI

Interesting.  I looked up the 2015 (that's what I get for using google...) and that's what I quoted.  Audi's 2016 media rag says 4.9, but I expect you're seeing real world based on forum input, etc... which is more realistic.  

Love that you're putting that down to the rearwheel and getting sub 4's, VPI...bad ass.  Quick in anybody's neighborhood.  Did you get their with a calibration change or???

HS

I spent far too much money going to a phase 2 tune with new supercharger pulley because it is such a boring car stock. Now I have determined there is zero reason to have a fast car as a daily driver so I have not even been inside the Audi in two months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VPI said:

I spent far too much money going to a phase 2 tune with new supercharger pulley because it is such a boring car stock. Now I have determined there is zero reason to have a fast car as a daily driver so I have not even been inside the Audi in two months.

It's not inexpensive making nice German cars go fast, but I bet your car is a hoot to drive and nice to look at.  

Your comment about the daily rings true with me, VPI.  My hot rod is stupid fast, sits low and has a stiff suspension.  Not at all practical for a daily.  I got the jeep srt to keep me from going crazy after I holed a motor racing the hot rod and I initially thought about modifying the jeep.  That would have been an error as the jeep has made me smile so much more than it would have had I made it faster.  It's a hoot and is surprisingly practical as a daily especially with bad weather or roads which we have plenty of.

HS

• Like 1

No one knows how you'll use the car but you, Dreadhead.  How long is your commute, how low does the RS sit relative to the driveways you'll cover, etc...  If the chin spoiler is really low and juts out quite a bit, can you allow for that where you drive it and how you drive?  Ingress and egress....basic stuff no one but you can figure.  I'm sure you've thought through that stuff.

My car is a bit of an extreme example so I'm not a good point to triangulate off of.  I had a 2010 Dodge RAM crew cab with the 5.7L HEMI before the jeep as my daily.  Great vehicle, especially for towing the hotrod, but that puppy is 19' long.  Parking the jeep and hauling butt is soooo much better now.  Have to use the wife's sequoia to tow, though...bummer.

HS

3 hours ago, VPI said:

This kills me.

• Like 2

My plan is for it to be my daily driver on most days. I figured it will be fun at 0530 when I'm on my way to work and there is no traffic and very few police. My driveway apron is pretty steep so that's a concern but there is also a lot of street parking, other RS have been reasonable for clearance height. She'll be sitting outdoors too (my garage is for bikes and strollers). I really doubt I will not enjoy it as a DD but if it does start to feel that way I will probably just sell it (and take the kick in the teeth), there's a local guy who DD's an STI and has car seats in the back, he's my inspiration (though I don't know him). I'm years away from being able to rally cross or autocross on a regular basis.

• Like 3

I have found that in daily life I get above 50 MPH around once per month. I spend most of my time between 20-30 mph getting around 12 mpg. There is really no reason to have something fast unless you hang out at the track a lot. Especially with some of the worst traffic laws in the country and no legal use of radar detectors.

Fair enough for you but your use case and mine are very different because of where you're driving to and when. For my work I drive the GW parkway at 50-60+ most days (lightly policed) all the way to work and I am often getting passed when I'm doing that. My drive home is also often a lot of 50-60 except for the last 15 minutes which is stop and go in sections and 30-50 in the rest.

My single biggest concern is potholes with 19" rims with summers on them.

As a local you can also very easily be required to spend some time in jail for speeding. No idea why this stupid state is so fucked up with speeding, but we go to Maryland to drive fast.

• Like 1

Well you won't be here for much longer. Not sure what it's like in Illinois.

My wife came forward with a lot of safety concerns in a talk last night and while she won't stop me isn't really on board anymore. I'm trying to see if it is even possible to just downgrade to the ST at the same dealer and not lose my deposit for months until the car sells. I considered the WRX but the ST shifter and cockpit are lots of fun for me (which is why I want(ed?) the RS).

Chris, 

Speed is regulated by your right foot and there's no appreciable difference between the RS and ST their ability to rapidly proceed beyond the posted limit if that's what your foot tells it to do.  I'd argue the RS might be the safer choice, actually, since the AWD will be far more able to put power down (feeding via 4 wheels) than the ST.  That's the talk that I'd have with her if it were me.  

• Like 4

I actually had that conversation with her earlier today. I explained that at a given speed the RS is a safer car and as long as that speed isn't crazy (which I have no plans to do). Also that our kids aren't even 5 and we have in state College paid for we may deserve a few splurges.... Now it's down to me.

• Like 2