Head Case Motorsports

VPI

There is no way in hell the ST will beat a regular S4 in anything except maybe autocross where more power is often not better. I am sure Jeff's S4 would just drop me like there is no tomorrow.

I am still pretty rusty on the launches, I am just lucky I have had my gaming rig to get me used to clutch again or it would be even worse.

The 5 door showdown does sound like fun though.

There are a fair number of twisty roads with elevation changes around (going further out than I usually go) but as Jeff pointed out the police are pretty ubiquitous which puts a cramp on the fun.

That said I had a very pleasant drive to work today at approximately 10 over the speed limit.

• Like 5

Learned a lesson on the importance of shopping around with your own auto insurance company: Forgot to register the car with insurance until today (was covered anyway due to rules) but I was about to add it to my policy and the price came back insane (increase of well over $500). So I went to their website and got a quote as if buying a new policy just for the car and it was much lower at around $290. I pointed this out and they looked into it. In the end I moved all of our vehicles to the new quote and the net increase to the insurance was $43. I would have accepted an increase of $300 and said "oh ok" and that would have been it. Crazy.

• Like 3

One week in and I am having a blast with the car. Getting a car setup just right is fun: Finally got a phone mount and new car seats for the kids (the previous picture was the ones from the minivan). I may have to leave it in the driveway a few days next week because of the impending storm.

It is so nice to have a manual again but I am still getting used to it and have stalled a few times etc. I will get there and have a blast doing it.

• Like 5

Very cool Chris!

I learned to drive on my Father's '66 Chevy pickup, That 4 speed was a bitch to shift, but the outcome was that I can drive pretty much anything now. Driving big rigs for a few years may have helped too. You'll be a pro again in no time, and will love the added control.

Edited by swt61

Any good ones on Sunday morning? I am guessing with the weather though it's a mess. Failing that we could meet up somewhere for a drinks/dinner and you can mock my Racer Boy car. Given the snow predicted and I have summers that may not be the best plan to plan on Sunday morning.

We are going to the lake for the weekend because there is a Easter Egg hunt tomorrow. Haven't been in a few weeks so we plan on following through.

Edited by Dreadhead

Sunday out in South Riding is a great one for you with about a dozen STs in attendance all lined up in a row.  Went back through my pics but I did not take any of that row, but it seems to be a Focus gathering.  They typically do that one early and then everyone drives to some other meet at a wings place or something.

There is one in Alexandria I believe on Sunday but I have never been.

• Like 1

South Riding is a haul for me especially with the weather report I'd bow out of that. That said the Alexandria (Hollin Hills) one could be fun to check out, I expect it will be much more about classics but I'd like that even if I'm not in one. We were already talking about coming back Saturday evening. I'll PM you and see what we can work out. It would be fun to hang out even if it will be cold as hell. I may bring the boys.

Drove the Audi for the first time in, I think, 10 weeks today to get the oil changed. Sitting in traffic all morning and afternoon is a great way to enjoy a sports sedan.

Did see this at REI when I went to pick up another rooftop bike carrier for the trip to Chicago.

8ca54baeb5a7e9b434821959bc0974dc.jpg

Still really want one of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Very nice vehicle for the money. We like ours a lot. QC could be better - nothing big, little things like a plastic panel that pops off here and there. But otherwise great driving dynamics, decent acceleration, really good technology. Just a really nice car to drive at the price point.

Very nice combo indeed!  Love both colors (my Challenger is blue and my Jeep is white).

Our neighbor's son traded in his jacked up Ford truck for a proper vehicle....2011 WRX and I got a spin in it this morning.  He had just installed a Cobb's (I think that's the aftermarket brand name) tuner kit.  The downpipe was out of stock but he had the intake and tune installed.  Car makes about 15psi and I have to say I was pretty impressed with the power to weight ratio.  Great little car for the money.  Has about 55K miles on it and the air was cool here this morning in TX and she pulled pretty hard so I was pleasantly suprised (just back from a trip to Aruba so I needed something to make me smile...).  He's had it a month and still isn't quite settled driving the stick, but he did fine.  Maybe another neighbor will buy an ST and I can get a feel for it one day.

I think the Mazdas are sporty and a great choice for the wifey.  Not too big, not too small and they're sharp looking.

HS

• Like 1

Looks like my new Cadillac ATS-V will be getting bought back by the dealer next week. 

I took ownership last December 6th. Mechanically it is an awesome driving experience. The engineering of the motor, 8 speed automatic transmission, electronic LSD, and suspension is superb. Absolutely no drama. Adjusted to Track/Race mode is funner than hell. Saw an easy 140 mph in it. Felt like a Toyota at legal speeds. In Tour mode, the perfect daily driver. Again, no drama. Ever.

Too bad the assembly quality is for shit in such an expensive car. The few problems I've had, HUD and performance pedals tilted/skewed, and a fucked up HVAC system, have been too difficult for the dealer or Cadillac Regional Rep to get fixed. The Cadillac spec sheet says when both driver and passenger sides are sync'ed at the same temp,  a 12 degree difference is considered "normal" Drove another new one last Saturday, and although the HUD and pedals were straight, the HVAC in that one was acting up similar to mine. Always blows cold, even when the temperature is cranked. Drivers side set at 78 degrees and the passenger side at 68, and both side blowing the same cold air. And cannot electrically turn off the vents, so that went the fans or HVAC is turned off, Coke ambient air blows more. The only way it stop it is to manually close the vents. So much for swapping me into another new one. 

Too bad, as the ATS-V really is a 4 door Corvette. More HP and torque than a Z51, and faster on the track too. A really enjoyable car. But the UAW build is not ready for prime time, and some basic interior functions just don't work. Might have to revisit in a few years. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sad to see this, Laowei.  

They are great cars that are very fast/quick right off the lot and can be made faster very easily with a pulley swap and a bit of tuning magic.  Slap a pair of stickies on the rear wheels and you can go 10's easily at the quarter mile.  Then there's all the support for GM products (only better/cheaper for modding domestically is Ford).  But if you can't get it to do what it's supposed to on basics, and considering it was your daily, why make yourself crazy?!?  Good move IMO.  Too bad...bad ass vehicle indeed.

Any thoughts on what might replace the Caddy?

HS

• Like 2