Head Case Motorsports

VPI

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite event was last weekend, the Texas Mile.  It's a standing mile event and the first and largest of its kind.  Basically we take over an ex-Navy airfield that's a private airport now so there's a mile and a half length "track".  Always a bunch of great folks willing to help each other out and visit about their vehicles.  Some neat cars and bikes there.  Chrysler had a press crew there and my boy and I got sucked into an interview.  Got our pit crew some swag so I guess it's all good in the end.

Managed to beat my modern MOPAR record once I got my boat anchor of a 4L80E (GM truck transmission) to take overdrive.  Really excited that the breakage was down to small stuff like a chin spoiler with a steel belly pan supporting it that sheared from the front bumper fascia and I cupped the steel pan and dragged all the way back to the pit...whoops.  I had an end link come loose which woke me up.  For one of these two reasons she was all over the place on the big end on a 211mph pass, but we went into town and double nutted it back on the coilover and all good.  Zip ties FTW!!!

HS

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2865.JPG

IMG_8207.JPG

IMG_8213.JPG

IMG_8215.JPG

IMG_8217.JPG

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, EdipisReks1 said:

He's asking how much power the car is making.

Ah.  Thank you, EdipisReks, and my apologies cetoole.  

Well, I was measuring ~21psi at the manifold as a result of the turbos.  I'm guessing in the order of 1300+ rear wheel horsepower.  The car weighs over 4500lbs with me in it...she's a piggy and the coefficient of drag is right up there with a big brick (hence that wrap that can be seen on the nose of the car).  I don't have the heart to gut her for weight reduction although I should...  Most things I have done in the way of modifications added weight (e.g. 10 point chromoly roll cage, bigger brakes, turbos, big transmission with sfi rate billet bell housing to help keep my legs where they belong, 9" rear end, halon extinguisher system, etc...).

HS

• Like 5

How about a Eurofighter jet engine and four rocket motors. Plus a 750HP racing engine to drive the peroxide pump that dumps 1000 litres in 20 seconds into the rockets. 135,000HP for 0-1000mph in 55 seconds covering 5.5 miles. And 500-1000 in 17 seconds once the rockets are lit. Maximum deceleration of 3g during braking.

Glorious, glorious madness. My name is on the fin (along with a gazillion more)

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/

HRshowcar-1627-pic_credit-Stefan_Marjoram.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was hooning in the 911 and managed to offend the delicate sensibilities of one of the active drivetrain mounts. This is now being replaced (under warranty, thankfully.) Kinda cool engineering ...

The Porsche 911 was designed to be driven “on an African safari or at Le Mans, to the theatre or through New York City traffic” according to Ferry Porsche. However, unlike building a racing car, the construction process on a road car is full of compromises, with one such concession being the balance between stiffness and comfort.

Make a road car too stiff, and the ride will become harsh and unforgiving. Conversely, if the ride is too soft then the handling response will be decreased.

While he conceded that “there is no such thing as the perfect car,” he pushed his company to do “everything in our power to approach this ideal.” In 2010, Porsche was able to satisfy this demand with two rear mounts that stiffened at high rpm to provide responsive handling, before turning more flexible at low engine speeds, providing better comfort during normal driving.

To achieve this duality, the Porsche Active Drivetrain Mounts are filled with magnetorheological fluid containing microscopic iron particles. Each mount contains two chambers, with a circular slot that allows the fluid to pass between the top and bottom chambers. At the centre is a doughnut-shaped electromagnet, which is used to control the fluid’s viscosity.

At low engine speeds, the fluid flows freely to provide a more comfortable driving experience. However, the voltage that reaches the electromagnetic is controlled by the ECU, with the map based predominantly on engine speed.

As the engine rpm increases, so does the electromagnet’s voltage, creating a stronger magnetic field. This increases the chains of aligned iron particles, decreasing the fluid’s viscosity. Eventually, these chains render the mount solid.

While this decreases ride quality, it increases stiffness at the rear end of the car, providing improved responsiveness when cornering. PADM is part of the Sport Chrono package, allowing the driver to activate the system using the Sport Plus button.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Hopstretch said:

I was hooning in the 911 and managed to offend the delicate sensibilities of one of the active drivetrain mounts. This is now being replaced (under warranty, thankfully.) Kinda cool engineering ...

Interesting.  Effectively engine mounts at the rear of the car that act like a variable shock absorber.  That's a lot of technology for an engine mount, but it's pretty cool as well. Looks like Honda has been using it quite a while...they never cease to amaze me.  The famous GM LS motors are basically knock-offs of Honda technology. 

On my car, I went with a motor plate at the rear (racing hard core is plates at both front and rear) and it definitely provides more torsional stability in the front of the car especially at hard launches...early on when I'm really thumping the motor.  That means less drama getting the power to the wheels and keeping everything as stable as possible.

Cool stuff.

HS

• Like 2