Head Case Motorsports

VPI

• 1 month later...

So I pushed my motor a bit more than I intended.  Long story short I have a transmission controller and now that I converted the car to an automatic (could not get a manual to survive) I have been playing with locking the torque converter (fluid coupler).  At the quarter mile, worked like a dream.  Feels like a shift to another gear...powerful and great for my elapsed times and trap speed.  Well, I tried the same at the standing mile last year and I had a different result than I planned.  Basically, I use overdrive in the standing mile and when I finally got the transmission to take OD (4th gear for me) by getting out of it and bumping it to neutral and back, it made crazy power and pulled like I've never felt her go.  That was the good part.  The bad part is it excited the turbos more than planned and she made more boost at the manifold than I expected.  Result...I raised the heads. 

So if you haven't seen this before, imagine all they dynamic cylinder compression created by the piston stroke with the benefit of turbo compression flaming out the side of the head/block area.  Basically...a blow torch.  Managed to get the car safely to a stop and aside from a bit of fire suppressant to ensure the smoking under the hood was not fire, not too hard on the motor/car. 

But I did do this to the heads and I wanted to share so you could 1) see what it looks like if you haven't before and 2) see some craftsmanship the gent that made these for me does on heads.  Basically three steps thus far:  my trashing them, welding and rough machining, and then cleaning them nicely.  Note on the last step the chambers have been "softened"...there's an edge within the chamber if you will.  That's for quenching and better handling the heat from boost and avoiding pre-detonation.

vroom vroom...

HS

Raised heads Jan 2018.jpg

Raised heads Jan 2018 3.jpg

Raised heads Jan 2018 6.jpg

Raised heads Jan 2018 2.jpg

Mar 2018 refresh.jpg

Mar 2018 refresh 2.jpg

Mar 2018 refresh 3.jpg

Mar 2018 refresh 4.jpg

Apr 2018 refresh 2.jpg

Apr 2018 refresh 3.jpg

Apr 2018 refresh.jpg

• Like 5

Inspiring....

I remember a friend of mine who used to race  a Triumph bike on dirt track, and in the dark you could see light between the cylinder and the head.

Later models motors had more studs.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, naamanf said:

Nice!

Seems a little bit like cheating though. 

Great, ain’t it?!?

In all seriousness, my blue 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T weighs more due to the addition of safety and go-fast kit and is ~1.5 seconds faster in the quarter mile at this point.  Low 10’s @ 13x mph vs 8.7 secs @ 161 mph in the quarter is a huge delta. The Demon sure is nicer to drive though :)

HS

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Spotted on a walk this weekend. Bentley Blower. Probably a replica, but still at least $1.5m worth.

20180624_151426.jpg

20180624_151437.jpg

20180624_151503.jpg

Very nice!  What I struggle with on these older cars is visualizing proportions.  In other words, they can be quite a bit longer/bigger than they appear to me on the photo.

Is that a big car relative to say something modern?

The craftsmanship looks amazing.

HS

Absolutely stunning Craig!

A buddy of mine was renting his garage in Santa Cruz Ca to a guy restoring a drop head Delahaye.

Sorry, I never knew the model number or year but there was a ton of teak(?) under that beautiful skin.

Edited by ironbut

They are pretty small by comparison to a modern race car, but not at all flimsy -- built like tanks under the skin. Know I posted about it maybe a year back, but this reminds me again of when I got to see maybe my favorite car ever taken out for one of its few drives a year at the Brooklands Museum. 

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/napier-railton-car-feature/

33-Napier-Railton-Finishing-Straight-Photo-courtesy-Brooklands-Museum-Katharine-Allen.thumb.jpg.625b44bc87db4a4ef43cac9d66e39b3d.jpg

Edited by Hopstretch
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Hopstretch said:

They are pretty small by comparison to a modern race car, but not at all flimsy -- built like tanks under the skin. Know I posted about it maybe a year back, but this reminds me again of when I got to see maybe my favorite car ever taken out for one of its few drives a year at the Brooklands Museum. 

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/napier-railton-car-feature/

33-Napier-Railton-Finishing-Straight-Photo-courtesy-Brooklands-Museum-Katharine-Allen.thumb.jpg.625b44bc87db4a4ef43cac9d66e39b3d.jpg

Very cool...I recall this pic you posted previously!

This is why I ask...to me those tires look huge as does the bonnet.  Cool stuff!  Gotta love the stainless finish...all business.

HS

The blower I posted pics of is definitely a replica - there are only two of the 40 originals in existence. But it produces 182hp using 10lbs per square inch of boost from the supercharger and a top speed of up to 120mph. Engine was a 4.4 litre straight four with twin carbs.

Physically it was pretty imposing. 14 foot 4 inches long.

There is a good write up here https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/10068232/Bentley-4-Litre-Blower-review.html

Particularly that there are reputedly 100 replicas out there

• Like 1

The 919 tribute is a hybrid with a mere 1100 HP and active aerodynamics. Dude went through a chicane at 300 km/h, so you know that shit works as advertised.

M18_2718_fine-1440x960.thumb.jpg.4afa58d3fc018b4303e94e4a45a41fdf.jpg

M18_1677_fine-1440x960.thumb.jpg.5b95d86e0ecb0cc0b1defb1f3ded37f4.jpg

Former lap record was a Group C Le Mans winner as the circuit is too dangerous for Formula One. Also Porsche (958) at 6:11:13 in 1983.

M18_1676_fine-1440x960.thumb.jpg.b139736c18d31d3ea8fdc7ab8db8acde.jpg

Vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom ....

• Like 1