Head Case Motorsports

VPI

Wow....just wow!

Underground has been building amazing cars for years and the Lamborghinis are there specialty. Brilliant platform if one can afford to play. AWD, great aero, and the aftermarket is there. 

They gear very specifically for the half mile. Great stuff!  And they have the runway to slow down without a chute which reduces risks significantly. 

Im smiling...thank you, Grahame!

HS

• Like 1

That is an impressive car. A bit insane to drive by the look of it.

But this would see that car left for dead. Bloodhound SSC. This is the 7 ton beast going from 0 to 200mph in 8 seconds. Just using the jet engine and rubber tyres. I was there - it was bloody impressive. Next year, 500mph then on to 1000mph with addition of rockets. On the Hanskeen pan in South Africa.

Performance figures. 0-500mph in 38 seconds using the Eurofighter jet engine, then after the rockets are operating 500 - 1000mph in 17 seconds.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, so I am a numbers nerd. I make absolutely no apologies for that :)

The lamborghini covers half a mile and gets to 259mph. That is an average acceleration of 0.83g. 

Bloodhound does 0.6g on the jet and 1.3g on the jet+rockets. The driver, Andy Green is a fighter jet pilot, and those accelerations are trivial for him.

The Shuttle on take off did 1.1g, rising to 3g and was maintained at those levels as a kindness to the crew - who were scientists and the like. The Soyuz that is used to ferry personnel to the Space Station pulls a maximum of 4g.

The earlier, pre Saturn V, Gemini craft were piloted by fighter jocks who were used to high g. Those has a profile peaking up at 7g and pushed along to orbit in less than 6 minutes.

So what accelerates faster than the breathed-on Lambo? Bloodhound. What has more acceleration than Bloodhound? A space rocket.

SPEED7. Ha Ha.

Hope the driver was OK, seriously. That looks nasty. If he (or her) was OK, they would certainly have needed a change in underpants.

Like the guy in the UK with an black M5 who overtook us doing around 130 or even more. His number plate FLA 5H he had adapted to read FLASH. I instantly thought "dick head". It was with great joy that some miles later he had been pulled in by the police. Sometimes there is justice. At that speed, around twice the legal limit, he would have lost his license for at least a year, and got a court summons and a whopping fine. FLASH.

I recall reading about Bloodhound a few years ago.  The technology and expense in the wheels alone was impressive to say the least.

Yeah...the numbers are interesting but like comparing an apple to a donut.  They're both tasty but they're not the same.

To be honest, the Lamborghini is not my thing.  I've seen some similar audi's that were a bit more to my liking (Underground builds them as well...a lot of common components with the Lambo's).  What I would argue is that having a car that can go that fast and still be street legal is pretty nifty.  I'm a car nerd ?️

HS

• Like 1

Yeah - the road legal bit is impressive for sure. F1 cars have more acceleration (1.5g to 200mph) but are not road legal. And Bloodhound - nah. If nothing else it would strip the paint off anything following :)

The whole statistics thing about Bloodhound is crazy. The solid aluminium wheels have a radial acceleration of 50,000g at 1000mph. Tested at Rolls Royce at full speed, they heat up to 80C just through air friction. And effective power of the vehicle is 135,000hp. It is basically aircraft engineering, but designed to stay on the ground.

And because one of the aims is to inspire, the entire CAD drawings for the machine are downloadable.

• Like 1

Electric cars are a trip to me.  I think it's the sound...or lack thereof.  I was at a half mile event...standing half mile.  This Miata pulls up with huge old school Goodyear slicks in the rear...big ones.  Does a burn out and all you really hear are the tires....no motor to speak of.  Then the thing just bolts and it's geared correctly...fast.  This was some years ago.  About the oddest thing I'd seen.

That VW is one bad mofo...  Driver is not to shabby either.

HS

7 hours ago, spritzer said:

The silence is where it is at though.  Even doing 100km/h and you hit some fresh tarmac...and just silence... :) 

Electric cars have silence as an attribute that was once the preserve of the rich, and  Luxury cars ...

rolls_royce_stor.png

Likewise with autonomous / self driving cars. No Chauffeur Required. 

Edited by Grahame