Head Case Motorsports

VPI

Well, I've held off on posting this one.  Thought the 300mph barrier deserved its own space.  Also, I've been to busy and or lazy.  Weekend is finally here and I'm kicking back in the backyard after way too much foot traffic through the house...LOL.

My daily was my beloved 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT.  Creampuff with only 26K miles (I work a couple of miles from the house).  All wheel drive, 392 cubic inch motor that made short of 500hp at the flywheel (i.e. not the wheels...I'd guess 10-15% drivetrain loss due to torque converter, etc...), 8-speed transmission with paddle shifters, big Brembo brakes, a lot of suspension flexibility with a dial...and a hilarious but beloved launch control should one ever need one.  The wifey borrowed it a few weeks go to pick up her dad from the hospital and take him home as her coupe sits quite low.  She got struck by another driver on the way home (fortunately she was perfectly fine) and the damage while not huge was enough for me to call it a day after 4 years with the big girl.

It was days before the Texas Mile and my tow vehicle was down...  I did not make it to the Mile with my Demon.  Don't get mad, get even.  After scouring for a similar vehicle I concluded there are not many and certainly not in the shape I'd be happy with.  So.....

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk with the Hellcat motor and some nifty gadgetry was acquired.  Traded in my 2015 at full trade-in value and handed over my insurance claim.  The 2018's on the lots were discounted more, but I still managed to get a good bit of the 2019.  Way to expensive a vehicle, but I have to admit I'm a sucker for the power, leather, and technology.  

vroom vroom...

HS

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

So I've been missing a stick car of late.  Trying to decide what if anything I should acquire.  Wife will likely strangle me unless I sell something, but I'll cross that bridge assuming I survive...LOL

Test drove a 2012 BMW M3 with a 6-speed.  Fun car although it was a bit of a rough condition.  They are difficult to locate and it was just down the road so I went for a spin.  Overall, worth the time but it wasn't a keeper.  Car out of Quebec that had made its way to TX.  They weren't ask kind to it as it deserved.

Today I test drove an M4.  For whatever reason BMW designated the M3's sedans beginning in 2014 and the M4's the coupes.  Again, I was looking for a stick car.  Easier to locate M4's than M3's so that part was good.  The M3 has a naturally aspirated V8....pretty cool to see that in a 2-door BMW.  The M4 has their straight line 6 cylinder twin turbo.  Not a bad little motor that makes more power than the V8 thanks to forced induction, but not as visceral as the V8.  It's also a bit lighter than the M3's were thanks to more extensive use of carbon fiber and the like.

I'm not sure how I feel about the color (it is a bit more metallic orange than it appears in the pics although it very much depends on lighting), but I the interior was very tasteful (it is darker than the images suggest...think a tobacco).  I sure did have fun driving it...

HS

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

• Like 8

Mmmmmmmmmmm3s. So if you're looking for a bit older/budget cars, as drivers (and not collector cars, yet), the e90 (sedan) and e92 (coupe) are great. I'd stay away from the e93 (convertible) because, well, it's just wrong. These are the 414hp V8 engines that you seem to enjoy. I haven't driven one in a while, but I did get to autocross an e90 M3, and it was a blast! These ran from 2008-2013, I believe. The reason you're having trouble finding an e90 is that there were about 4x as many e92s made as e90s. Luckily, they are *typically* better cared for.

The F80 (2014-2018) is when they had the controversial split of M3 (sedan) and M4 (coupe.) They are doing odd = sedan (3/5/7 series) and even being coupes (2 (previously 1 series; we didn't get the hatch in the states, sadly)/4/8). Wondering about the 6 series? Yeah, uhmmmm... 5 door fast back, so, yeah... it's just a 6?

The F82 is the M4. The F80/F82 have a few different trims over the years, going from 425-450ish HP, with turbo 6 cylinder engines. There is a competition package, and later a CS (Club Sport) package, which get you in the higher HP ranges.

If you want to talk M stuff, LMK. I'm on tons of groups, and I see plenty of things for sale. I'm happy to help you keep an eye out for a nice e9x/f8x.

9 hours ago, MexicanDragon said:

Mmmmmmmmmmm3s. So if you're looking for a bit older/budget cars, as drivers (and not collector cars, yet), the e90 (sedan) and e92 (coupe) are great. I'd stay away from the e93 (convertible) because, well, it's just wrong. These are the 414hp V8 engines that you seem to enjoy. I haven't driven one in a while, but I did get to autocross an e90 M3, and it was a blast! These ran from 2008-2013, I believe. The reason you're having trouble finding an e90 is that there were about 4x as many e92s made as e90s. Luckily, they are *typically* better cared for.

The F80 (2014-2018) is when they had the controversial split of M3 (sedan) and M4 (coupe.) They are doing odd = sedan (3/5/7 series) and even being coupes (2 (previously 1 series; we didn't get the hatch in the states, sadly)/4/8). Wondering about the 6 series? Yeah, uhmmmm... 5 door fast back, so, yeah... it's just a 6?

The F82 is the M4. The F80/F82 have a few different trims over the years, going from 425-450ish HP, with turbo 6 cylinder engines. There is a competition package, and later a CS (Club Sport) package, which get you in the higher HP ranges.

If you want to talk M stuff, LMK. I'm on tons of groups, and I see plenty of things for sale. I'm happy to help you keep an eye out for a nice e9x/f8x.

I'm looking for a 6-speed and if you see a 2012 -2013 M3 pop up I'd love to know.  No more black for me, though...LOL.  I have a black race car now and it's a PITA.

I might hit you up.  I've been doing some reading on known issues, etc...  I like the idea of the V8 but I've decided I don't want it to be too much of a project car.  Just something to have fun in and typical maintenance.

The F82 was more fun to drive than I expected.  Not quite as sexy to my senses as the 2012 E92 I drove but still a hoot.  It was pretty darn nice too...

HS

• Like 1

9 hours ago, naamanf said:

As much as I like BMWs it’s hard to not start considering a lower end 911 (or used) / Cayman when you consider what a loaded M4 costs. 

I agree.  I was going to test drive a 911 Carrera S six-speed coupe yesterday but the shop wasn't open.  Having stated that, the primary reason for wanting to drive it was to see how I felt about the size of the car.  My gut tells me it might be too small for my tastes these days.  The older I've gotten the more I appreciate a bit of room.  

I know the newer 911's have gotten a bit bigger, but still looks to be a pretty tight space.  I need to drive to know so it's on the agenda.

I did like the size, generally speaking, of the cabin in the 2-door couple BMW's.  They did not feel too small to me.  I'm not married to getting one, but there was a lot I liked about the two I drove.

HS

LOL.  I'm not that big a guy.  It's a comfort thing.  It'll either work for me or it won't, but I'm used to going fast in something that has room in it.  We'll see how it goes.  There's a lot to like in a 911 aesthetically and performance wise.  Pricing...gotten a bit frothy especially given how many were produced.  TBD for me...

HS

Fun...  The "bucket" seats, although wrapped in a nice alcantara, were a bit much.  Think bucket stuck to arse in and ingress and egress requires olympic technique...LOL.  Good for a track car.  The door release is basically seat belt material for weight savings.  Otherwise, pretty bad ass.

HS

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/28/2019 at 11:37 PM, MexicanDragon said:

A little more snug, but have you checked out the M2?

MD,

I have not.  That could be a good call.  I had it in my head it would likely be too smallish for my tastes hence the M4, but after driving a couple of 911’s yesterday, I’m more open minded.  

I didn’t post a pic, but I drove a new 2018 Carrera S that they had on the lot with comfy sport seats...pretty much fully loaded but a PDK transmission.  That was fun.  That transmission will make most any driver better than they are.  Fun car.  Just don’t think I need another automatic.

HS

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 11:37 PM, MexicanDragon said:

A little more snug, but have you checked out the M2?

Fun....nice recommendation, MD!  

Peppy...good power to weight.  More tossable than the M4 IMO.  Very easy to drive...the rev matching on shifts is spoon feeding which isn't all bad.  A bit snug but not terrible.  The M4 is definitely more comfortable.  Interestingly, they both weigh about the same so times are not as different as one would think.  Felt surprisingly planted and tracked very straight for a smallish vehicle. 

Nowhere near the road feel of the Porsche, but that's not surprising to me or most enthusiasts I expect.  I need some seat time with a 911 with some years on it and a more comparable price point to get more context.

vroom vroom...

HS

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HemiSam said:

Fun....nice recommendation, MD!  

Peppy...good power to weight.  More tossable than the M4 IMO.  Very easy to drive...the rev matching on shifts is spoon feeding which isn't all bad.  A bit snug but not terrible.  The M4 is definitely more comfortable.  Interestingly, they both weigh about the same so times are not as different as one would think.  Felt surprisingly planted and tracked very straight for a smallish vehicle. 

Nowhere near the road feel of the Porsche, but that's not surprising to me or most enthusiasts I expect.  I need some seat time with a 911 with some years on it and a more comparable price point to get more context.

vroom vroom...

HS

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

Glad you liked it! I figured for the $$$, it's tough to beat. There is also the e46 M3 route, which are a blast, and N/A. You could get a lower mileage one for half the cost of the M2, and a smaller fraction of a Porsche. Also, there are plenty out there that have been Turbo'd or S/C'd. You wouldn't love a stock exhaust note, but if you wanted to tinker, I wouldn't discount it. I'd consider a later model (04/05), with the ZCP (Competition Package), you know, if you wanted to look. :)

Also, @shellylh has an M235i, and I think she'd tell you that she <3s it.

I love that car in Alpine White, btw. Is it an M2 Competition? (That's what you'd want to look at.)

Edit: M2 vs M2 Competition weight - M2 is 55KG lighter. The M2 also has a different engine, and 365HP vs 405HP (single turbo version of M3/M4 engine.) Especially if you consider depreciation, it may be worth looking into used/CPO'd M2 (think 2017). https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a26910664/bmw-m2-vs-competition-quick-drive/

Edited by MexicanDragon

6 hours ago, MexicanDragon said:

Glad you liked it! I figured for the $$$, it's tough to beat. There is also the e46 M3 route, which are a blast, and N/A. You could get a lower mileage one for half the cost of the M2, and a smaller fraction of a Porsche. Also, there are plenty out there that have been Turbo'd or S/C'd. You wouldn't love a stock exhaust note, but if you wanted to tinker, I wouldn't discount it. I'd consider a later model (04/05), with the ZCP (Competition Package), you know, if you wanted to look. :)

Also, @shellylh has an M235i, and I think she'd tell you that she <3s it.

I love that car in Alpine White, btw. Is it an M2 Competition? (That's what you'd want to look at.)

Edit: M2 vs M2 Competition weight - M2 is 55KG lighter. The M2 also has a different engine, and 365HP vs 405HP (single turbo version of M3/M4 engine.) Especially if you consider depreciation, it may be worth looking into used/CPO'd M2 (think 2017). https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a26910664/bmw-m2-vs-competition-quick-drive/

MD,

Appreciate all the input.  I've had my nose buried deep in going straight a long while.  I'd occasionally read MotorTrend article on a Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, etc... but not that much.  I also read a lot about fast SUV's as I've grown fond of something with some height and size for my daily.

Something has been missing, though, and I think it's rowing the gears.  Fast but friendly...for example the sport buckets in the Carrera T are great for a track car but not one for going out for a spin on the weekend, etc...  So no DCT for this camper...yet.

I've been reading and the new motor and the M2's Competition designation came in 2019.  It's the motor and carbon fibre cross brace from the M4 amongst some other bits.  The M2 pictured here and the only one I've driven is a 2018.  Interestingly, no change in times to speak of between the two motors despite a not insubstantial increase in power.  Also, despite the size difference between the M4 and the M2, the weights and times don't reflect it so much.  Also, the M2 is taller...go figure.

Driving the 911's did me wrong in the head...really nice.  Would like to see if I can find a 2008 - 2012 for a test drive....

HS

• Like 2

Yesterday was a good day despite too much work stuff nagging.  Managed to blow off some steam driving my car, other's Germanic offerings and then hit a pool shindig for college like antics...feeling it a bit this morning...LOL

Anyhoo, I managed to find a 2012 Carrera with a stick not too far off.  40 some odd thousand on the odometer.  Not much luck locating a Carrera S like I was hoping to anywhere reputable so I took what I could get.  

The young salesman and I went for a spin.  The manager I had spoken with departed as I arrived, so me and my young victim got in it as much as the car was willing to part with.  Very much a naturally aspirated power delivery from a 3.4L six cylinder and, hopefully without insulting anyone, it was a bit dull for me.  It felt slow.  Handled fine...pretty nicely, but just didn't move me.

Manager gets back and walks up to me....big man.  Shakes my hand and asks if that's my Demon in the lot...yes, sir.  Tells me he just bought a Challenger Hellcat and loves it.  Compliments the Demon and tells me, this is your playground.  Make yourself at home and tell me if my team doesn't take good care of you.  Thank you...

So out come the keys to a 2018 Cayman GTS that's sitting there when I pull up in the 911.  I hadn't considered one, but that's what this journey is about so off we go....

This is MUCH better.  Lovely engine sounds in the cabin...the mid-engined turbocharged four banger sounds much better than I would have thought.  I'm not accustomed to four cylinders and did not expect so much from a 2.5L motor.  The car handled really nicely....very much closer to what I'm searching for, I think.  Lots of good feedback, the option to dial it into S mode and S Plus mode with a dial on the steering wheel makes it peppier.  

I have always pictured in my mind's eye the 911 as THE Porsche...it being so iconic and a good bit of what I've seen and loved over the years.  This Cayman has me thinking...

HS

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MexicanDragon said:

Seems you're heading in the right direction.

When are you looking at S5s, being disappointed, then looking at RS5 and thinking "that's closer, but..." And then checking out a used R8 and smiling for the first time that day?

As much as I love the look of the Audi's, and pretty spectacular transmissions, I'm not big on the electronics' reliability.  No used Audis for this camper.

HS

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

As much as I love the look of the Audi's, and pretty spectacular transmissions, I'm not big on the electronics' reliability.  No used Audis for this camper.

HS

Oh, I would never advise anyone to get an Audi that was not going to have a new, CPO, or some other extensive warranty. I've Loved Audi for a long time, but one bad experience and it's been determined that the family's anxiety is too high to risk being in an Audi without a warranty. I don't see myself looking at really you needing an Audi, but an RS4 Avant has been one of my dream cars.

• Like 1

And they can drive.  Very cool, Hop!  Thanks for sharing.

I received an invite from a friend today to join him on the road course this coming Saturday.  If weather holds, he'll have a Cayman GT4 he'll drive there and back home.  Offered it up to me for a test drive (off track...which is the only way I would take advantage of such a generous offer).  I might get lucky...  If so I'll post some pics.

vroom vroom...

HS

• Like 2