VPI

Head Case Motorsports

2017 Can-Am Challenge at Long Beach

• Like 1

So I pushed my motor a bit more than I intended.  Long story short I have a transmission controller and now that I converted the car to an automatic (could not get a manual to survive) I have been playing with locking the torque converter (fluid coupler).  At the quarter mile, worked like a dream.  Feels like a shift to another gear...powerful and great for my elapsed times and trap speed.  Well, I tried the same at the standing mile last year and I had a different result than I planned.  Basically, I use overdrive in the standing mile and when I finally got the transmission to take OD (4th gear for me) by getting out of it and bumping it to neutral and back, it made crazy power and pulled like I've never felt her go.  That was the good part.  The bad part is it excited the turbos more than planned and she made more boost at the manifold than I expected.  Result...I raised the heads. 

So if you haven't seen this before, imagine all they dynamic cylinder compression created by the piston stroke with the benefit of turbo compression flaming out the side of the head/block area.  Basically...a blow torch.  Managed to get the car safely to a stop and aside from a bit of fire suppressant to ensure the smoking under the hood was not fire, not too hard on the motor/car. 

But I did do this to the heads and I wanted to share so you could 1) see what it looks like if you haven't before and 2) see some craftsmanship the gent that made these for me does on heads.  Basically three steps thus far:  my trashing them, welding and rough machining, and then cleaning them nicely.  Note on the last step the chambers have been "softened"...there's an edge within the chamber if you will.  That's for quenching and better handling the heat from boost and avoiding pre-detonation.

vroom vroom...

HS

Raised heads Jan 2018.jpg

Raised heads Jan 2018 3.jpg

Raised heads Jan 2018 6.jpg

Raised heads Jan 2018 2.jpg

Mar 2018 refresh.jpg

Mar 2018 refresh 2.jpg

Mar 2018 refresh 3.jpg

Mar 2018 refresh 4.jpg

Apr 2018 refresh 2.jpg

Apr 2018 refresh 3.jpg

Apr 2018 refresh.jpg

• Like 5

I hope those repairs last for you

Your dedication to straight line speed is epic.

• Like 2

Inspiring....

I remember a friend of mine who used to race  a Triumph bike on dirt track, and in the dark you could see light between the cylinder and the head.

Later models motors had more studs.....

Studs stretch some or they break.  Metallurgy...  Not for the faint of heart when combined with high pressure, heat, detonation...

HS 

Those are amazing pic's Sam!

I wouldn't want to be a spark plug in your cylinder head in another life!

• Like 1

Must have been heart stopping to have that happen when you were hard on the throttle at speed.

Your mechanic/welder/machinist is a magician. His work in restoring the damaged heads is incredible. Hope you bought him a beer afterward. 🍻 

• Like 1

Nice!

Seems a little bit like cheating though. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HemiSam said:

Whoops....

HS

I usually don't like Plymouth/Dodge products but yours is a little nicer than most. ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, naamanf said:

Nice!

Seems a little bit like cheating though. 

Great, ain’t it?!?

In all seriousness, my blue 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T weighs more due to the addition of safety and go-fast kit and is ~1.5 seconds faster in the quarter mile at this point.  Low 10’s @ 13x mph vs 8.7 secs @ 161 mph in the quarter is a huge delta. The Demon sure is nicer to drive though :)

HS

• Like 1