VPI

Head Case Motorsports

Bloodhound LSR hits 461mph on just the jet engine. Next is to add the two rockets that will take it from there to 1000mph. Bloody amazing how quickly it gets to speed (and back down to rest too). The driver, Andy Green, is a fighter pilot, and was the guy who took Thrust SSC to beyond the speed of sound in 1997. Bloody awesome!

• Like 2

They are just playing with it now --- some better footage now. 

I think that everyone needs to take lessons from the spaceX teams - there is a new standard in filming events. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah - they are going to do some further runs to "probe the trans-sonic region", whatever that means. After which I guess it is back the the UK to start fitting the rockets and all the gubbins that is necessary to hold the propellents and pump them into the nozzles. They have not said so, but they must have mass dummies in the car for these runs to mimic the weight distribution of the rocket stuff.

The design spec is once lit they should take Bloodhound from 500 to 1000mph in 17 seconds.

We are not the only show in town in the quest for 1000mph. The Aussies have an entirely rocket propelled car using concentrated nitric acid and keronsene, called Aussie Invader SR which is specced to go from rest to 1000mph in 20 seconds. And another in NZ. And another possibly from the West Coast of the US. But there is no evidence that any other of these vehicles has entered the testing phase.

• Like 1

As what was said more than once in Top Gear - "you cannot call yourself a petro-head unless you have owned an Alfa". 

I was bitten hard the first time I laid eyes on and sit in an Alfa Romeo Gulietta in the late 70's in a show room. Owned a GTV6 for an all-to-brief one year or so.  I miss that car tremendously after all these years.

• Like 1

We haven't had the "normal" Alfa Romeo cars in North America for decades (just the 4C and now the Giulia and Stelvio)... I still have a half-baked plan to import an Alfa Romeo GT (V6 manual) someday and modify it for fun:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_GT

The only problem with Alfa Romeos is everything:

Edited by HiWire

After watching the Ford vs. Ferrari movie, I looked up Ken Miles and Caroll Shelby on Wikipedia.

Superformance makes Ford GT40 replicas and their Future GT Forty is an interesting mashup of the Ford GT40 MkI and the current generation Ford GT race cars:

The Bathurst 12 Hour race at Mount Panorama (Australia) happened this weekend... very eventful and a surprise winner:

Edited by HiWire