Sony MDR-Z7

Dusty Chalk

Yeah.

I'm not saying you're wrong -- it's there -- I just don't hear it as pronounced as you do.  Nowhere near as pronounced as you do.

I wish I could find my friggin' cursed %$#@! CD3000s.

I also think it has to do with the amp -- I think the NuForce is a particularly good match, because other -- better --headphones don't sound that good out of it.

I'll try to spend some time listening to it out of the Oppo and other amps soonish.

• Like 1

Yeah.

I'm not saying you're wrong -- it's there -- I just don't hear it as pronounced as you do.  Nowhere near as pronounced as you do.

I wish I could find my friggin' cursed %$#@! CD3000s.

I also think it has to do with the amp -- I think the NuForce is a particularly good match, because other -- better --headphones don't sound that good out of it.

I'll try to spend some time listening to it out of the Oppo and other amps soonish.

No wrong or right here.  If the Nuforce is relative lean and slightly bright sounding ...it can really play well into the Z7's characters.  Yup, I sure wish I didn't trade the CD3000 for a Canon G3 camera several years back.  I got luck out several months back and bought the CD3000 for around $500ish.

The ergonomics on them are outstanding.  You should upgrade the stock to silver cable to improve its performance.  Stock Sony wire is really thin and is holding the Z7 back a great deal.

I've been thinking about getting one of the Kimber's but undecided which version to get. Initially I was going to get the shorter 1/8" version but I've been reading about how good they are running balanced out of the Pono. I can't get a Pono here in Canada yet. The other debate is, I don't want to be swapping cables all the time so I wonder how well the Pono in balanced would compare to the Concero HP in single ended. Maybe I should just buy something I can use with my Note 4 for more portable, around the house, usage.

I've been thinking about getting one of the Kimber's but undecided which version to get. Initially I was going to get the shorter 1/8" version but I've been reading about how good they are running balanced out of the Pono. I can't get a Pono here in Canada yet. The other debate is, I don't want to be swapping cables all the time so I wonder how well the Pono in balanced would compare to the Concero HP in single ended. Maybe I should just buy something I can use with my Note 4 for more portable, around the house, usage.

The Z7 does work well out of the Pono especially with the balanced out jacks.  SE not so much, but in balance mode ...the Pono is very very good.

I would get the longer Kimber cable and rewire for 4-pin balanced.  Then make an adapter to dual stereo mini(s) so you can use it with the Pono.  For the same price, I would buy the longer cable, shorten  it, and then reterminate.  The reason I went with silver b/c I want to tighten up the bass, and add more clarity to the sound as well as bringing out more details.

The Z7 does work well out of the Pono especially with the balanced out jacks.  SE not so much, but in balance mode ...the Pono is very very good.

I would get the longer Kimber cable and rewire for 4-pin balanced.  Then make an adapter to dual stereo mini(s) so you can use it with the Pono.  For the same price, I would buy the longer cable, shorten  it, and then reterminate.  The reason I went with silver b/c I want to tighten up the bass, and add more clarity to the sound as well as bringing out more details.

That's an interesting idea, anyone you would recommend for the retermination job?

• 1 year later...

Been enjoying the Sony MDR-Z7 the past couple months. I have tried several tube and solid state amps.. best so far is my Cary Nighthawk. I also built a shorter length cable using low capacitance wire and the treble section was improved. My only gripe is there aren't (that I know of) aftermarket pads to audition. Anyone here using other than stock pads ??