Subs?

cetoole

Stick with me now...So, if you built your own isobaric subwoofer, couldn't you power it with a simple 2 channel stereo amp? R for one driver and L for the second driver? Since low bass is mono, wouldn't you still get the same signals to both drivers? Or is it not that simple?

Of coarse you'd need a crossover, probably active.

Edited by swt61

Well, moar is better if it's the betterness that's really moar.

For a single sweetspot system one sub should be enough, because there's only one small area for which to optimize the response. Besides SPL more subs give you more control over room modes - useful for optimizing the bass response for a larger listening area. At the same time more subs will leave you with more chances to screw up. Without a measuring mic, I wouldn't try to setup a multi-sub affair.

My favourite over-the-top subwoofer is still the Krell Master Reference -- the literature says something to the effect of "...Representing the ultimate triumph of force over area, the massive yet compact Master Reference Subwoofer houses a Krell Class A amplifier...", but I would say "the massive yet massive...".

Don't agree with that.  The only thing that determines the fundamental response of a bass driver is the resonant frequency and Qts. Shove it into a box of the right size to push Qts up to 0.7 or so for a Butterworth alignment and off you go. Sure there are various opinions about one large driver, or multiple small ones, but the "speed" is always about the cabinet.  Ported has to be done right to prevent a perception of slowness, likewise transmission lines.

I prefer to keep things simple and fundamental. Either H frame dipole with EQ and no box at all, or closed box either of the correct size or with EQ to extend bass further.  Suspect that my sub project is two of the late great Shiva X2 12" drivers in a push push arrangement to prevent cabinet rock.

No, sorry, it's pure physics.  Mass requires force to move.  Sure, if you have umpty times as much force as some weakling amp driving 4x12 you'll get faster, but ... there'll still be a lag, won't there?

When I said "favourite" about the Krell, I meant to talk about, not to actually own or hear -- I've never heard it, and have no interest.

Suspect that my sub project is two of the late great Shiva X2 12" drivers in a push push arrangement to prevent cabinet rock.

With my SVS I'm starting to see the rationale behind opposite push-push driver arrangement. The thing sure likes to dance around on higher SPL's.