Closed - KGSSHV Carbon and GoldenReference HV PS Group Buy

mwl168

@b0bb: should be working again, thnx for letting me know ... I make a copy of it everyday just in case

Working again. Thanks.

I checked and updated my list

Below is the updated list.

V3 Amp pcb

4 boards

DUAL PSU pcb

4 boards

Dual LV PS pcb

4 boards

for the 550v caps there is conflicting information whether they are 2 lead or 4 lead, trying

to find out real information, I think they are actually 4 lead.

updating all layouts with both the 2 and 4 lead versions

The data sheet off mouser for the kemets I have selected say it's 2 lead (since A is the termination code right after ALC10).

The ones I bought were 2 lead but they are only 180uf

This is the Kemet ALC cap I used for my KGSSHV PS, 450V/680uf. They are 8cm tall. two pin snap in. http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=ALC10A681DL450virtualkey64620000virtualkey80-ALC10A681DL450  

Cannot speak to the 550V caps though. 

the following files have been updated with both footprints, please check for errors

...newleftfat

...newrightfat

...circlotronhvsingle

there seem to be multiple errors in the kemet pdf

for example size codes f and k do not exist

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/circlotronhvpowersingle.jpg

if you are planning on making any of the power supply boards

make sure they have today's date or later on them.

if not ask.

Seems pretty clear on my read of it Kevin. Styles A and D (ALC10Axxxxxx) are 2-pin. Termination G (of the 2 std. terminations) is 5-pin, but is only used for diameters greater than 45mm. From what I could see Mouser only carries the A termination type.

KEM_A4020_ALC10-535355.pdf

I found an older post in the kgsshv thread stating the stm negative 15v regulator needs to be put under load to work properly.

Furthermore I think Birgir has been using these isolated version for some time now and has not reported a problem.

Edited by insanity

Used to be National, but they are owned by TI now (probably still fine). Philips (On Semi) are good as well. Never tried JRC. Anything buy ST Micro. Thing should regulate regardless of load. Their positive ones do :)

Ooops, On Semi was Motorola, not Philips. Philips is NXP, which probably are also good.

Edited by Pars

What non-STM 7815/7915 parts with insulated tabs are there? I'm having trouble finding anything on Mouser. Doing searches for linear regulators, +/-15V, TO220F packages. If there isn't anything, and if we think the STM parts suck, the PSU boards probably need space for heatsink insulation pads.

got something back from kemet that says their pdf is way out of date, and

many of the sizes are 2 pin, but some are 4 pin.

seems that mouser does not have the 4 pin in stock, but can order them,

they would be a bit cheaper if we buy 100 or more.

the layouts are updated just in case anyway.

I'd be in for 20x 680uF/550V caps if you're going to order 100+. Right now those 20 caps take up a large sum of cash on my mouser cart.

• Like 1

Ooops, On Semi was Motorola, not Philips. Philips is NXP, which probably are also good.

Except for obtaining older parts, since the Motorola buyout by On Semi or merger in early 2000's, there is a shit load of fake older and commonly used On Semi and Motorola parts.

• Like 1

The list of GB participants and number of boards seem to have stabilized. I like to finalize the counts in the next few days and request new quotes from the fab houses.

Please double check and confirm or make any final updates to your record on the spreadsheet by end of day Saturday, July 11. On Sunday, July 12, I will officially close the GB, lock down the counts of the various boards, post a snap shot of the spreadsheet on this thread for your review and proceed to request final quotes from the fab houses.

Once I receive the quotes, I’ll make a decision which fab house to go with and provide the cost of each individual board and calculate the total for each participant. Cost for each board will account for contribution to Kevin’s boards and cost for packaging materials (not shipping cost).  Given the number of boards, I expect this to amount to around 25 cents per board. 

I very much appreciate Sorenb’s and all your kind offers to pay for my boards. Respectfully, I like to decline and pay for my boards.  ::)

A few words about the fab houses; I requested quotes from one US fab house (PCBNET) and three overseas. PCBNET quote is, not surprisingly, quite a bit higher than two of the overseas quotes ( I have not used PCBNET in the past but they come highly recommended. My interaction with them so far has been encouraging.). The margin of difference in cost does narrow as the volume goes up. Surprisingly, one of the quotes from China is actually about 60% higher than that of the PCBNET. The cost difference will amount to a few dollars per board for the larger volume boards but can be substantial for the small volume boards. Please do feel free to share your thoughts and/or preference in this matter by responding to this posting.

Please let me know if I missed something.

More to come.

Thanks!