Closed - KGSSHV Carbon and GoldenReference HV PS Group Buy

mwl168

Lots of changes here and from PMs I received in the last few days. Also have non-official quotes on upgrading the HV PS boards to 3oz copper and looks like the cost difference will be minimal ( should be less than $1 US per board).

Unless there are objections I like to switch all HV PS boards to 3oz copper as Kevin suggested.

I will post new GB details with everyone's quantity/cost updated in a few days.

The GB has two almost similar boards: "HV Single Fat" and "HV Single Skinny", both has a right (HV+LV) and a left (HV+BIAS), they differ in dimensions only as far as I can see, where the FAT version is 4.05" x 5.45", and the "Skinny" is 3" x 6.48".

The dimensions for the FAT makes it impossible to mount in a 2U chassie other than horizontal.

The Skinny however, can be mount both horizontal and vertical.

My question to the GB participants that has choosen the FAT singles, would they consider changing to Skinny singles if the board is being traced?

none!

its not instead of, its in addition too

if you want to get it in the box, you will need a pair of fat 450v power supply boards

AND

you will need 4 of the 900v power supply boards

putting 2 of the 450v power supply boards in series to get a 900v board is likely going

to cause all sorts of problems.

fat boards are needed for the circlotron.

So there are nothing special about the Skinny Single, or the Fat Single ....can be used for Circlotron or any other amp for regular HV, right?

As far as I understand both FAT and Skinny includes BIAS/LV in addition to the HV, so a right+left of either Fat or Skinny will result in HV+LV+BIAS, similar to the GR Fat Dual, right?

how many times are you going to continue to try to ask the same question in multiple

different ways, expecting a different result.

Its roughly the same number of square inches (and in fact cubic inches) no matter

how you cut up the pie, split up to separate bias/lv etc. pick one. If its not compatible

with the majority of the group buy, well tough.

dual ground referenced 450v supply is 6 x 6.48, 39 square inches

single fat ground referenced supply is 5.45 x 4.05, 22 square inches

single skinny gound refenced supply is 3 x 6.48 inches, 19.5 square inches (exactly half of the dual supply)

circlotoron 900v supply is 5.95 x 4.72 inches, 28 square inches

i have done other boards for you with the power caps off board etc.

And its still the same number of cubic inches. It has to be, its always

the same exact number of the exact same parts.

the 900v board MUST float. so offboarding the electrolytics to capacitor

clamps is a very bad idea because caps float with the music.

i do not understand why this is so hard.  print out the board layouts, attach

to cardboard and attempt to mount to your desired chassis. either it

fits or it does not fit.

yes the goldenreference lv supply is better than the pair of 3 terminal regulators.

and it is also additional square inches.

Edited by kevin gilmore

Bloody hell this is getting silly!

Too many choices fat-skinny-onboard-offboard-L-R-etc...etc...etc....and people are getting in a Tizz. Lets all just stick to what we asked for in the first place. If it turns out that a board you wanted costs 3x as much as another then Tuff luck! lets all just be very grateful that we have been granted access to these wonderful creations and let mwl168 get on with the ordering process.

All this chopping and changing is making life more difficult than it need be for mwl168 who took it upon himself to organise this masssssiveeee GB.

sorry if i have offended anyone......I just want these boards/cap's in my sweaty palms.....NOW!!

Yep, this has to be the most confused/confusing GB I've seen. From simple concept to kitchen sink...

EDIT: it was suggested in a pm that I might want to elaborate on what I find so confusing. I don't really feel the need to, but posts 283-290 should pretty much sum it up :laugh:

Edited by Pars
  • Like 2

My question to the GB participants that has choosen the FAT singles, would they consider changing to Skinny singles if the board is being traced?

I put myself down for 2x Fat and 2x Skinny. I would be more than happy to change to 4x skinny single's. Firstly if it makes things a little simpler for mwl168, Secondly if it makes them a bit cheaper for everyone then thats good too and thirdly if you intend to trace the chosen pcb's then that would seal the deal! i would trace them myself if i only knew what that meant?.............

I put myself down for 2x Fat and 2x Skinny. I would be more than happy to change to 4x skinny single's. Firstly if it makes things a little simpler for mwl168, Secondly if it makes them a bit cheaper for everyone then thats good too and thirdly if you intend to trace the chosen pcb's then that would seal the deal! i would trace them myself if i only knew what that meant?.............

Thanks for the consideration. My real concern is the board cost - at the already small quantity of the skinny boards, further decrease in the quantity will no doubt have significant impact to the cost.

I don't remember if I traced the HV Single Skinny boards but I did trace the HV Single Fat boards. 

I chose the fat boards because they fit easily in a 300mm-depth Modushop Dissipante box. The skinny boards are longer, and IIRC require a 400mm-deep box. It'd be nice to use 2U, but I can live with 3U in exchange for less depth.

+1.