Closed - KGSSHV Carbon and GoldenReference HV PS Group Buy

mwl168

Sent 12 packages out today. More will go out tomorrow. Still waiting for USPS to deliver the large padded envelopes I ordered so I can finish packing all the orders.

The overseas shipping will be quite high due to the weight of the boards. Most will likely be around $26.50 US for USPS Priority Mail (up to 4 lb max weight). The only cheaper USPS fair is the First Class mail which only saves about $3 once the weight of the package goes above 24 oz. As a reference, 2 Carbon V5 plus 2 HV Single Fat boards weight in around 11oz.. It's a rotten deal for those outside of US - in some cases the shipping ends up costing almost as much as the boards. 

On to another matter - should we start a new dedicated thread for the KGSSHV Carbon build? If enough people think this is a good idea, I can start a new thread with some preliminary information including BOM for the V5 boards and GR HV PS. Speaking of which, I have not found a way to attach a spreadsheet - I know I was able to do that before the forum software was updated a few weeks ago.

Thoughts? 

Not sure exactly where you are located, but I more or less buy everything from Mouser now. Massive selection of parts and very simple ordering. I do get charged local VAT on top of their prices, but it's done immediately and there's no fiddling with customs, additional fees or delayed bills etc. afterwards.

Shipping is free for orders above 65 EUR. It's via FedEx which wouldn't be my first choice, but it works well and it's a fairly consistent two-day delivery (so order on Tuesday night EU-time and delivered during Thursday or Friday at the latest).

I do still use Reichelt and TME sometimes, but it is getting less and less frequent. If you are in a country where RS/Farnell is an option that could work as well, but IME prices are much higher.

//UFN

Edited by UFN

Thanks for the answer. I ordered from Mouser a few years ago but I do not remember the conditions so your info is useful.. Rs is expensive I agree. That +30 comes from the VAT+duty. in my place. The costs depend on that too  how many places you can get the parts from. This depends on the BOM and the question maybe for the building thread.

Thanks for the answer. I ordered from Mouser a few years ago but I do not remember the conditions so your info is useful.. Rs is expensive I agree. That +30 comes from the VAT+duty. in my place. The costs depend on that too  how many places you can get the parts from. This depends on the BOM and the question maybe for the building thread.

No problems. Note that the duty is supposed to be included in the EU-prices (euro or other local currency) so you only pay VAT on top (25% for me) - unless you're VAT registered of course. The VAT amount is just added to the amount deducted from your credit card at check out (although it's not visible until just before you confirm the order). 

I live in Sweden. If I make an order not later than evening 8 a 'clock Swedish local time with Mouser - I have a nice guy knocking at my door at 10.30 am day two. Less than 48 hours from the US.:D

I can order much later in the evening than that, but my orders are mostly small and probably don't take long to pick and pack :)

//UFN

I know how VAT works :)  But when you buy from a non EU country you usually can not buy VATless and you pay your own VAT additionally. I do not  know the state of Mouser(there is an Europian subsidiary or not) and how its base price is calculated. Of course the real price is what counts.

I am whining but I am in US and just placed a large order with Mouser ($300 +) and I have to pay shipping. I guess that beats having to worry about VAT:P

Also, Mouser does not carry LT1021, the 10M90S and C2M1000170D are back-ordered, and the aluminum oxide insulator 4171G for TO220 is not in stock at the moment. These are all available at Digikey.