PC Cleaning Tips

Hey folks-

So with CPA exam and busy season behind me, I'm finally starting to re-evaluate on what is important: having a kick ass PC to play games on.

My current PC is actually pretty great. Surprised to find my i5-3570 CPU I purchased in 2012 is still completely acceptable for gaming. I did upgrade my graphics card to a GTX 980, which is awesome. So I don't see the need for any additional upgrades.

What I'd like to do now is thoroughly clean the outside and inside of my PC case. My NZXT is one of those silent cases, and it does a pretty good job of keeping dust out, but nothings perfect, and I'm basically done zero cleaning the past three years. I tried some compressed air a couple months ago and it helped, but there is unfortunately dust caked on certain items, notably the fans. I'd like to get all this dust scrubbed off.

So after a little light googling on the subject I purchased the following:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047YB3OW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013HT2QW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01

It's 99.9% isopropyl alcohol cleaner and some fancy lint free wipes. I'm thinking this will be a safe way to clean my fans, cables, and maybe even motherboard/power supply/etc., so long as I am 100% everything is dry before I boot it up.

What do y'all think? Am I smart?

You could definitely go that route, but it will take a lot of time.  If you are looking for that just put together shiny new PC look where everything is absolutely spotless, your way might be the only way to go.

I am pretty OCD about my computer with regards to dust, and I use this for everything:  http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW

It is awesome, but it is very powerful.  When cleaning fans, I keep a distance and keep the blades from spinning to prevent damage to the motor.  99.9% of all dust is blown into the next county.  My PC looks pretty much new, but some things still have that almost microscopic dust that sticks like glue (like on the HDDs), but I never wanted to spend the time to go further since it'll get dirty again.  If you want to go that little extra step and go crazy, then you could bust out the swabs and alcohol.

Since you already purchased your items, go your route, and if it's not for you, consider the data vac.

• Like 1

You could definitely go that route, but it will take a lot of time.  If you are looking for that just put together shiny new PC look where everything is absolutely spotless, your way might be the only way to go.

I am pretty OCD about my computer with regards to dust, and I use this for everything:  http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW

It is awesome, but it is very powerful.  When cleaning fans, I keep a distance and keep the blades from spinning to prevent damage to the motor.  99.9% of all dust is blown into the next county.  My PC looks pretty much new, but some things still have that almost microscopic dust that sticks like glue (like on the HDDs), but I never wanted to spend the time to go further since it'll get dirty again.  If you want to go that little extra step and go crazy, then you could bust out the swabs and alcohol.

Since you already purchased your items, go your route, and if it's not for you, consider the data vac.

That is what I am talking about, I need this! The problem with compressed air is the can gets cold so quickly, looks like it won't be a problem with the data vac. I've added it to my amazon wish list. I'm thinking I'll order this and use it instead of the alcohol, but I'll hold on to the alcohol for any items which are just too filthy.

Basically I'm trying to resist the urge the build a new PC since I really don't need one. So instead it would feel good to have a PC that looks like new.

spiders got in there, clean it with fire

This is another option. I have some matches. I could drill some holes in my case and drop lit matches in.

Nuff said?

P1020814_zpsqhjzmtpg.jpg

Thats fucking awesome.

Looks Better Than This 

<snip>

Much more PC filth on El Reg - you have been warned!

Oh yeah I'm nowhere near that bad, but I do have some caked on dust that needs to be obliterated.

I bought one of these on your recommendation. I'll test it out on my PC this weekend.

• Like 1