Parasound Halo Integrated

blessingx

Lately been drifting a bit towards convenience over ultimate fidelity. Would love a single box for the speaker rig and in the most recent Audio Advisor the new Parasound Halo Integrated [pdf] was featured. Checks off a lot needs in a digital & analog rig, but anyone see an obvious weak spot? Need to hear obviously, but hopeful.

parasound_halointegrated_blk_rear.jpg

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

Looks really nice! Especially like the dedicated subwoofer outputs, saves a lot of headache for some. Only thing that ticks me a little is the Sabre DAC, my experience tells me that it needs much fiddling to get a pleasant sound out of it.

The NAD M2 was the heart of one of the best sounding speaker systems I've ever heard, but it's in a different price regime.  I'm sure the Parasound is very good.

Down the NAD line a bit I came real close to buying the NAD C 390DD. Unfortunately video was a priority and the two HDMI ports you can add on just weren't enough for my purposes. This is how I ended up with the Emotiva XMC-1 and XPA-2. Regardless I find the all digital design of the C 390DD really intriguing.

Looking at the Parasound Integrated, I like that it has USB and an MM/MC phono, and has already been mentioned bass management is a great thing to have for sub users. Looks like it has enough powah to push any speaker ta boot. Cool piece of gear there, you should be it Ric.

Apart from that Exogal that Todd just got, I've been giving consideration to the NAD M12. Essentially a robust digital pre with M51-like DAC stuff thrown in.

I've tossed around lots of other ideas but I just can't pinpoint any stand-alone pre that seems offer enough value.

Apart from that Exogal that Todd just got, I've been giving consideration to the NAD M12. Essentially a robust digital pre with M51-like DAC stuff thrown in.

I've tossed around lots of other ideas but I just can't pinpoint any stand-alone pre that seems offer enough value.

Oppo HA-1. I know its not a favorite around here and maybe doesn't have enough inputs but it's a fine piece of gear. I'm about to go through a sell off and build my desktop rig around it.

That Parasound looks awesome!  Before I went overboard and got my Bryston, I was seriously looking at Parasound.  I find them to be great value for the money.

copy_of_parasoundhalotoppowersupply.jpg

Looks good on the inside.  I cannot make out the mfr of the caps, but they look like NCCs (at least the smaller ones).

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Oppo HA-1. I know its not a favorite around here and maybe doesn't have enough inputs but it's a fine piece of gear. I'm about to go through a sell off and build my desktop rig around it.

Definitely considered that too but I'm hesitant on using a Sabre DAC in favor of my trusty Parasound 1100... just worried it would sound lifeless. Then again, it would be super easy to output from the Oppo to the Parasound whenever I wanted. So maybe I'm dumb.

I sold my HA-1.  Liked it a lot, but just couldn't LOVE it (I'm with JP# on this one).  Ultimately a little too analytical for my taste, and I wasn't using the headphone out on it, one of its best features.

It DOES have a lot of I-O options, including both balanced and single-ended analog inputs.  Does the PCM & DSD, has the cool display panel, etc.

When I got my LFD LE Mk V integrated, I had my Sony HAP-Z1ES going balanced in to the HA-1, and then to the LFD.  Sound was VERY good.

Changed it to go single-ended directly from Sony to LFD, sound was GREAT.  That was the tipping point for me, when I chose to sell the HA-1.  I just took some time to find which DAC would replace it; chanced on the Exogal, got a demo deal from Audiogon, and am not looking back.  The HA-1 has more I-O options than the Exogal, but for me and my limited use, the sound improvement is way worth it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback Todd. I guess something I can't reconcile in my mind...

Is it better to have your optimal DAC (from a sound preference perspective) with lesser preamp capabilities or your optimal preamp with a lesser DAC?

*Apologies for the semi-threadjack, Ric. The Parasound looks pretty sweet... the P5 was another option for me as well, similar to the NAD but ultimately I think the NAD looks more up my alley. This integrated would be a perfect solution, especially for a second rig like living room HT.

Is it better to have your optimal DAC (from a sound preference perspective) with lesser preamp capabilities or your optimal preamp with a lesser DAC?

Situation dependent.  For me, I have a fine integrated amp already in the LFD.  So, for me, yes, DAC sound is more important because it will only play that 1one function.

The Parasound looks quite nice, I've heard some Halo separates and they were very good.  And even the Z-DAC has been shown as good for cheap money; so one assumes things would scale up nicely.  If you already have an amp, though, then the NAD is a nice option (and it is modular, so is quite expandable/configurable).  I heard it with their new amp using a variation of the n-core modules from Hypex.  Lovely, lovely sound!

• Like 1