postjack welcomes new headcase members thread

postjack

Welcome to Sepinho!

I met sepinho earlier this week, passed out in a hammock with a fishing line tied around his big toe.  I was minding my own business, but I noticed that he had a bite on the line, and I felt it my duty to assist the man.  I grasped the line, naturally, and attempted to reel the monster in, as any decent neighbor would.  

I was trying hard to pull the line without disturbing sepinho, and I was succeeding.  Five minutes in, I was dedicated to nothing in the world, save my task.  I'd made nary a sound, and to be frank I'd lost track of time.  Bystanders were wending their way around me, perplexed, but I was unbothered.  When I was confident I had the beast well in hand, I risked a glance toward sepinho, only to find that the other end of the line had slipped his toe, and he was nowhere to be found!

Peeved, I pulled my last with a huff and felt the quarry loose itself from the deep.  What should I have expected?  After my effort, I expected a significant reward -- perhaps an octopus, many-legged and delicious?  It was not to be, though I was yet in for one more surprise.  Rather than a fish, the line had looped around a bottle, and in that bottle a letter!  I could scarce wait to loose the cork and read its contents, the lean fruit of my endeavours. 

What did the letter say, you ask?  "See you on Head-Case!"  The pique!  I think this sepinho has a lot to account for here, gentlemen!

• Like 5

Welcome to headcase @IPS Support! It appears you are an administrator, which kind of scares me a little. Do you like headpones? Thank you for your support. Also french toast at home is easier than you think. It is inspiring too. Why should the France have all the sweet toast? You can make it in America too.

Get a large flat dish. Crack two eggs into it. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Beat this up. Add a cup of milk or milk substitute (I like using silk soy vanilla) and combine thoroughly. Get a hearty bread and soak it in the mixture. Melt butter in a pan and throw your soaked bread in there on medium heat. About a minute a side is all you need, but you can cook longer if you want it to be a bit firmer. Top with maple syrup and a side of flat bacon (see posts above) and you have a breakfast that will stick to your ribs!

The above will make about 4-5 pieces of french toast.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome @4tray! welcome to headcase new friend. showers of joy for you sir or ma'am, showers of joy. we are ready to discuss headpone!

early in your meditation journey you will no doubt think the moments of oneness and connectedness and joy you feel are the point of the meditation process. however, these are just another thing you can become attached to. William James put it best in his work "The Varieties of Religious Experience", paraphrasing here, but basically the only way you can determine the authenticity of a spiritual experience are by the fruits of said experience. So if you are still a miserable asshole after said "spiritual experience" then really its not much of a spiritual experience is it? Regardless, the point isn't to have these experiences, since so many of them are impermanent (which is really what the Buddha meant when he said "all life is suffering". suffering is probably a poor translation, I think the real idea is that nothing in life is permanent, so you can't all your serenity to be contingent on anything in life, including these moments we call spiritual experience), the question instead you need to ask your is what is the journey?

also scroll up a bit for my flat bacon trick!

• Like 6

Welcome @4tray! welcome to headcase new friend. showers of joy for you sir or ma'am, showers of joy. we are ready to discuss headpone!

salutations dear friend

i had not noticed this topic or i would have posted sooner.

a good note on spiritual experiences, although your post is missing a few key verbs to maintain proper structure of a sentence, that said i will assume you meant one can't expect their serenity to be contingent on anything in this world due to impermanence, yet if you determine the value of your spiritual experience by what you gain from it, wouldn't that cut a hole in your argument as both the value and experience are even further abstracted from reality or permanence as they are a product of subjective analysis, thus the journey is nothing but the appraisal of the overall experience... thus we find ourselves stuck between an endless loop of sorting every experience to sort them neatly into 2 bins...

• Like 3

salutations dear friend

i had not noticed this topic or i would have posted sooner.

a good note on spiritual experiences, although your post is missing a few key verbs to maintain proper structure of a sentence, that said i will assume you meant one can't expect their serenity to be contingent on anything in this world due to impermanence, yet if you determine the value of your spiritual experience by what you gain from it, wouldn't that cut a hole in your argument as both the value and experience are even further abstracted from reality or permanence as they are a product of subjective analysis, thus the journey is nothing but the appraisal of the overall experience... thus we find ourselves stuck between an endless loop of sorting every experience to sort them neatly into 2 bins...

bringing this down to a practical level its funny how I sometimes catch myself forming an internal narrative of an experience while I'm experiencing it. This happens most often at live music, I'm having this amazing time and I find myself in my head forming the narrative of how I'll tell my friends about this afterwards, so I stop living in the moment and instead start living in the future moment when I'll be talking about this present moment. I have to give mysellf a mental slap to bring myself back to the present and just experience what is happening all around me. I thought of this when I read what you are saying regarding the journey becoming the appraisal of the journey, and that definitely isn't what I want. I just want the journey. But even the preceding statements sure have a lot of "I's" and "wants" in them if ego dissolution is the goal. Fuck it, I'm having fun though. And my bacon be flat as hell.

• Like 2

There's lots more where that came from ...

We want to avoid contumely here.

What?  No, his usage was correct and pitch perfect in it's amount and tenor.  This is wrong.  I got about 0:37 into this, and got angry and turned it off.  I should probably go back in and give it a negative feedback, only I'm trying to eschew negative feelings so I'll pass.  There's very little anger in 'chide' -- it's mostly light-hearted.  Am I alone in this?  If so, feel free to rebuke me.