Major Forum Software Upgrade - August 5, 2015

tkam

Do I get a different background every day?  I liked yesterday's better.

^ I started to post this yesterday -- I think I figured it out -- it's blue during the day, orange-ish at dusk and dawn?  And off-black at night.  I'm only ever going to look at this site at night from now on, night is my favourite.  Well, alright, I'll probably forget and look at it during the day, but I'll spend the most time at night.

EDIT:  NOW IT'S PURPLE!!1! -- WIIIIIINNNNNNNnuh!

PS  I am really liking this.  Thanks not only for doing this, Todd, but for vetting it and everything.  I ditto the question -- how are finances?

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Being able to see who liked a post may not be fixed for everyone.  The software isn't letting me save the setting after enabling it on certain custom user groups, I've filed a support ticket about the issue and will see if it's a simple fix or not.

Per the 'Spectrum' theme, the background does change color throughout the day, it's supposed to mimic the time of day.  That's actually one of the settings I was thinking of disabling, but it sounds like I should leave it turned on :).

• Like 2

So I'm a lower user class not fitting other groups who can see who liked other's posts :sadcat:

BTW this silly thing won't keep as default the older custom set of emoticons. Overall I liked the older version better; when using the "New content" it keeps displaying all the already read threads on screen which isn't really helpful, being the only difference the big coloured spot/star before them. It's slower and kind of sluggish. Also Autopage won't work adequately.

Notifications definitely don't work right for me. Example: I follow the "i'm on a roll... the kgsshv" thread. It has had several posts in the last day. They don't show up in the notifications list (when I click the bell icon). On the plus side, at least I don't get notification emails anymore (though the thread that sent them out — the parts advice thread — hasn't had any posts since the last email notification).

In addition, clicking a thread or a thread's last page doesn't take me to the first unread post. That used to work, made reading new content much more efficient. Now I have to scroll from the top of the last page and look for the blue divider line.

Should have more control over notification settings now, a few of the settings that were locked out I opened up for users to change them.  Getting to the last post of a thread is easy, just click on the date/time show below the last poster's username.  

Taking a look into the emoticon thing, all the old ones are still there, they are in fact in the only emoticon category there is.  I'll see if it's possible to change the editor to default to the category instead of the overview which only shows the system default ones.

The themes are responsive now, so I'm not sure it'll be possible to force the desktop site on mobile devices.  It's on my list of things to take a look at.

• Like 2

The emoticons are accesible but the first time you try to use them after a sign in or after some time without accessing the site, you need to click on the emoticons button then the "categories" menu, otherwise the old ones won't show to be used. The default is the "overview" set.

I've figured out how to have the "new content" tool to display just the unread messages, not all the ones that had some activity (or whatever this decided they had) and the ones I already read in the current session. It wasn't that difficult :palm:

Still missing a lot knowing who liked posts, that was a nice feature that at first didn't seem such a great deal on the previous version.

Not able to replicate that at all, only thing I can recommend is to try clearing your browser cache and make sure the browser is up-to-date.

Both IE & Firefox were doing the same thing, but it seems to be much better since this

[Liked ID'ing] should now be fixed for all users.

was fixed. Maybe it is just a coincidence?