Capitol Audio Fest August 28-30

jp11801

good stuff, I was very impressed with the MicroZotl 2 amp and may be buying one in the next week as there is a 10% off for the show. 

The horns I heard in the Deja Vu room were stunning, the Vinnie R room was pretty great as well, I know his amp is controversial here but it sounding nothing less than great with the Harbeth speakers he was using with them. 

Great to see Chris and hope to connect with the Mid Atlantic HC crew soon. 

oh the Enigma Headphones kinda sucked IMHO not ready for prime time. 

...the Deja Vu room...

Deja Vu, as in Deja Vu audio, the retailer?  Curious which horns they had playing.  This is their site.  They've always had some spectacular speakers.  I've dealt with them before, they're good guys.  Vu, in particular.

Sorry I missed you JP (and Chris and anyone else), my sleep schedule is a complete wreck.  Woke up at midnight, couldn't get back to sleep, was awake at 8, but was too much of a zombie to feel safe to drive.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

yes on the Enigma Acoustics not being that good, I like the idea as well and hope they'll improve ( I think these were a beta test sample) 

Dusty yes I believe that was the retailer, really cool horns in one room and Audio Note smallish but great sounding speakers in another. Sorry to hear about your sleep issues Dusty.

The Oddysey room was very cool and bargain priced compared to some of the others.

Thanks for the notes, gents.  Didn't even realize Berning was making a Micro-ZOTL 2.  I owned the 1 for a while, was pretty darned nice.  I even drove some Lowther's in a small room with it.

The tech on that was interesting (but above my head); Berning did some neat things to bypass the need for a boatload of tubes in an OTL amp.

EDIT: well, fuck....just ordered......

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I preferred the DeJa Vu room with the Nola speakers to the horn room set up. I have been a couple times to the store and heard great horn and Audio note systems.  The Oddysey room was very good!  Listening to tape in the Classic Audio room was next level source stuff. if the media was easier to get and not so costly I would get into it.  I think with VPI taking such a big interest/involvement in this show combined with it now being in the fall (next year) instead of key summer vacation time this show will really take off.  I'm 20 minutes away so good news for me.

• Like 1

Glad to hear it's moving to the fall. I enjoyed it at lot last year (especially Odyssey) though I probably will not be in the market for a real system for a while. I had all these plans to upgrade our Yamaha YSP soundbar this year but I just cant justify it as it works and sounds good enough for us in the movies we watch and has good spatial information.

Edited by Dreadhead