KGSSHV Carbon Build Thread

mwl168

1 hour ago, mwl168 said:

Looks like there is a built-in delay and it uses SMD, other than that, what's the difference between this one and the GoldenReference HV PS?

That's it.  I just needed something small and wanted to use the Antec transformers and have the HV delay. 

Works perfectly on my Blue Hawaii.  I've been listening to it for the past couple of days.  Really nice to have it back in service.  I'm in the middle of re-casing it.

EDIT:  This is the negative rail so no control logic (just the relay - CPC1117N) and no bias supply.

IMAG00558.jpg

Edited by Kerry

5 minutes ago, nopants said:

beautiful work

That!

I,too, like to be able to use the off-the-shelf Antek transformers. 

No promise but if there is enough interest, I may organize a GB for this version of PS together with the BJT version of the Blue Hawaii Kevin recently posted. 

5 minutes ago, mwl168 said:

No promise but if there is enough interest, I may organize a GB for this version of PS together with the BJT version of the Blue Hawaii Kevin recently posted. 

Interested.

Kerry: Nice work (as usual I should say :D)

//UFN

Just don't add the opto relay (CPC1117N) and the 600 ohm resistor (not necessary).  It is a normally closed relay that prevents the HV from starting up.

EDIT:  Also, the 3K resistor above the relay is not required.

Edited by Kerry

I don't suppose there's a way to shrink the split GRHV (fat version, kgsshvpssicfetsinglenewrightfatsw and kgsshvpssicfetsinglenewleftfatsw) so the boards match the footprint of the Carbon V6? It would allow me to just mount all boards on a 100mm heatsink without the use of angle brackets. I don't need the row of holes to do that, which I hope could save some space.

Figured it can't hurt to ask. :)

1 hour ago, gepardcv said:

I don't suppose there's a way to shrink the split GRHV (fat version, kgsshvpssicfetsinglenewrightfatsw and kgsshvpssicfetsinglenewleftfatsw) so the boards match the footprint of the Carbon V6? It would allow me to just mount all boards on a 100mm heatsink without the use of angle brackets. I don't need the row of holes to do that, which I hope could save some space.

Figured it can't hurt to ask. :)

just had a look at some of the fats I have at hand. you can easily cut away the holes and have 88mm or so.
I used a tracksaw with an aluminium blade, fixed the pcb between two pieces of MDF - not much to it, and some emery cloth to get a nive finish ... I guess you can obtain much the same using a hack saw.

1 hour ago, eggil said:

I posted this by mistake in the old thread.

Could somebody point me towards the Single Skinny Right HV PS JPG and schematic?

I was surprised the boards don't have the 7815 and 7915 unlike like the single PS

The GRHV are all the same and are divided into left and right, one HV rail per board. Right contains HV rail and BIAS supply. Left contains HV Rail and LV PSU. The group buy only has right's ...thus only HV + BIAS. You need a separate LV, e.g. GRLV ...or something else

Hello Geoff,

I hope thats your name [fading memory] I really admire your fantastic case work. Remember the old KGSShv blue pcb you did  a mini group years ago. I still have a spare set.

I will be resuming build the carbon KGSShv soon [pcb only] Any chance of helping with a chassis design. I have great difficulty in casing.

Hello Fred,

Yes the beginning of my Stax adventure.   On cases I can help easier with a design than I can with parts, I've been waiting 6 weeks for the front panels for my Carbons to be done.

The guy gives precedence to his industrial customers.  I'd do them myself but they are too big for our cnc mill.

I'll pm you

• 2 weeks later...