KGSSHV Carbon Build Thread

mwl168

@ nopants: the Galaxy has what is referred to as "quasi heatsink" which the GR HV is attached to. I can barely detect a temperature rise after a few hours running in 70 F ambient temperature. My Antek trafo has 325vac secondaries (IIRC) that is regulated down to 400VDC so the voltage drop on the pass transistors is not too severe. 

@ JoaMat and UFN: yes, no volume pot :) I rely on the digital volume on my TPA Buffalo DAC. It's a controversial topic I know but it does save me a bundle of $$$ :lol:

@ GeorgeP, Birgir and Kevin: yes, I don't like the idea of using male connector on the chassis end either but that's the only way this Y2M-7TK connector comes to my knowledge. I have been searching for some connector covers to use for this reason but have yet to find any that fits. May have to bite the bullet and sprint for the Ampheno connectors some day.

• 1 month later...

About measuring the voltage from electrostatic amp, I read a comment on Tyll's article http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/stax-mafia-makes-unrefusable-offer-and-i-begin-electrostatic-headphone-measurement-program

As far as measuring the voltage on any of the stuff that's ballassed with a build-out resistor, forget about any voltmeter you might have. I haven't found a voltmeter or oscilloscope with a high enough impedance not to load down the voltage and give an incorrect reading.

quote done

What does built-out resistor mean?

Edited by mtoc

I don't know, I usually use gerbview, works fine with zip files. Does zofzpcb support zip files? 

edit: zofz finally works after multi-trying.

edit2: Zofz only works twice on my old-granny-level-pc. gerbview and gerberlogix work normally on my this old computer. That Zofz stuff is cool! I havta save some dough to buy a lastest Intel-i3-platform first!! Or even Zen!!

edit3: zofz is indeed amazing! sometimes it works alth under cpu load 99% (envy you guys' decent computers:rolleyes:)

Edited by mtoc

9 hours ago, spritzer said:

Brain transplant might also help.  If you can't get a viewer to work but want to build high voltage equipment...it might just be Darwin at work. 

the first step is always the most difficult. although you could laugh at, man... after frying a bunch of amps, I think I will get a working one.

after frying a bunch of amps, I think I will get a working one.

Ahhhh... the old Edison principle at work.

..although, sometimes you need to cut your losses as in:-

Quit while you're behind - when you're in a hole, don't dig.

Edited by wink